THE ORIGINAL & LARGEST MILLIONAIRE DATING SINCE 2001

How about a Gardening thread Message Board

• View author's info Posted on Jun 07, 2005 at 04:16 PM

Organic or Chemical

Day lilly or Dahlia

Vegetable or Flower

Don Juan or Mr. Lincoln. So many possible subthreads............

As planting a tree is the only totally positive thing we can do for the environment, and based on the av age of the forum participants, and the geographic diversity, it could be very helpful.
  • 14Comments

• View author's info Posted on Jun 08, 2005 at 08:33 PM

Yes I'm beginning to think round up is the only thing that will do this.
    I know we got down deep enough that we got a major root of the goat weed last fall. It ran under the sod of the lawn right to the other bed and was about as thick as a small branch! Couldn't believe it! Sod went flying, dirt, leaves, was a real Lucy gardening moment!
    My sister told me that about horse radish, container it or container around the plant in the garden. I don't like it so at least don't have that one to deal with.
    Haven't had problems with fungus, hot and dry here in the daytime, burns off morning dew and water.Interesting that it works on people too!

I did have a problem with slugs in my flowerbeds last year and found out keeping the needles from the pine trees in the beds instead of cleaning them out works great! Apparently the slugs don't like the acid from the pine needles......teach me for being so neat! So instead of cleaning the needles out, I just blended them in with the rest of the soil.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 08, 2005 at 06:45 PM

1intelligentblonde write:
    I have a corner of my garden being over run by what they call around here mustard/mint weed. Tried everything to kill it. Even dug down 4 inches to get at the roots and the suc*ker still came back. Short of nuking my yard any ideas?

Thought of fire but think my neighbours might get upset, and so might my house!
    Help!

Hopefully you don't mind my posting to you.
    You need to dig down further than 4". Get a spade and dig down 12" turning the dirt over and with your hands break the dirt apart removing all the little hair like roots you see. They run deep.
    If you don't feel like doing that, then use RoundUp. But make sure you don't spray on a windy day, and only get it on the greenery you want to kill as it will kill everything green...right down to the roots!
    If you want to keep any of this in your garden, put it in a ground planter to keep it contained.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 08, 2005 at 06:31 PM

Mandalay207 write:
    I planted for the first time this year in my garden some arugula. Wow! If anyone likes fresh arugula for salads I highly suggest it. Coming in great, had to thin out the rows and re-plant in other areas as each seed is producing at least 6 plants.

Mandalay, this sounds like something you should plant in a ground container so it can't spread.
    I have horse radish...same thing, it spreads like wild fire every year no matter that I get people to dig it all up and take it. Previous owners should have planted it in a container in the ground.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 08, 2005 at 06:14 PM

SpeedDallas write:
    Horticultural corn meal will work to remove all fungus, ( real good as a preventative measure against black spot on roses, red tip photinia and any plant susceptible to fungal disease, however it is only treating the symtom, not the actual problem. Fungus is often soil born, and created by over watering, and lack of oxygen. Aerating by poking holes into the soil around the effected plants and pouring the corn meal in the holes is often the cure.) both in the garden, and on the body. It will work in a water mixture for nail fungus, athletes foot or even jock itch although the latter would be most difficult to apply a reqired 30 minute soak.

Speed, I may be a little nieve, but could you tell me what jock itch is?
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 08, 2005 at 06:23 AM

Horticultural corn meal will work to remove all fungus, ( real good as a preventative measure against black spot on roses, red tip photinia and any plant susceptible to fungal disease, however it is only treating the symtom, not the actual problem. Fungus is often soil born, and created by over watering, and lack of oxygen. Aerating by poking holes into the soil around the effected plants and pouring the corn meal in the holes is often the cure.) both in the garden, and on the body. It will work in a water mixture for nail fungus, athletes foot or even jock itch although the latter would be most difficult to apply a reqired 30 minute soak.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 08, 2005 at 04:59 AM

IB, you have to find where they are coming into the garden. I believe that type of weed travels to where the mositure is, with the garden soil being moist, it is a breeding ground for them. Once you locate the exact area where the true weed root it is, it will be easy to kill it off.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 08, 2005 at 04:48 AM

I have a corner of my garden being over run by what they call around here mustard/mint weed. Tried everything to kill it. Even dug down 4 inches to get at the roots and the suc*ker still came back. Short of nuking my yard any ideas?

Thought of fire but think my neighbours might get upset, and so might my house!
    Help!
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 08, 2005 at 04:33 AM

I planted for the first time this year in my garden some arugula. Wow! If anyone likes fresh arugula for salads I highly suggest it. Coming in great, had to thin out the rows and re-plant in other areas as each seed is producing at least 6 plants.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 08, 2005 at 04:11 AM

Mandalay207 write:
    As a matter of fact, I did put some baking soda around the trunk. I called a garden center and they did agree that it was some type of fungus and that baking soda or corn meal would be ideal to slow down the spread of the fungus. I also put it around the surrounding shrubbry so it wouldn't spread. I'll be taking a sample of the shrub up there today so they can tell me exactly what type of fungus it is and recommend any remedy that they may have. Keep ya posted.

IT sounds like a consensus that there's a fungus among us...Wonder if that works on toenail fungus....lol
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 08, 2005 at 03:06 AM

As a matter of fact, I did put some baking soda around the trunk. I called a garden center and they did agree that it was some type of fungus and that baking soda or corn meal would be ideal to slow down the spread of the fungus. I also put it around the surrounding shrubbry so it wouldn't spread. I'll be taking a sample of the shrub up there today so they can tell me exactly what type of fungus it is and recommend any remedy that they may have. Keep ya posted.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 07, 2005 at 07:59 PM

As I've only gardened in Tx, and am not sure of plant or problem I really can't help except to say if it is a fungul problem to go supermarket and get some corn meal. It is an organic anti-fungal as is baking soda.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 07, 2005 at 07:57 PM

I had that same problem. Used the same technique, paper and ink works every time!
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 07, 2005 at 05:30 PM

Mandalay207 write:
    Funny you started this thread Dallas, was just looking up something for a diseased ornamental shrub I have in one of my beds. Does anyone know of some type of chemical I can spray on a Tacksis (spelling) Ornamental Shrub that has just started browning due to some type of disease? Or anything to try to stop the spread of it?

A few years ago I had a diseased ornamental shrub in my bed... a divorce cured the problem (I'm kidding! I'm kidding!- it was too good a line to resist) Real answer is that it's probably a fungus. Check Loews for anti-fungus sprays
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 07, 2005 at 04:21 PM

Funny you started this thread Dallas, was just looking up something for a diseased ornamental shrub I have in one of my beds. Does anyone know of some type of chemical I can spray on a Tacksis (spelling) Ornamental Shrub that has just started browning due to some type of disease? Or anything to try to stop the spread of it?