I guess many of us might be tempted by this prospect. Suppose you had 6 months off work, a Harley Davidson (and a crash helmet, coz we're all grown up and sensible on MM!) where would you go?
Or to put it another way, what would be your recommendation as a road suitable for "riding into the sunset"?
My top four would be:
1. The A82 from Loch Lomond to Fort William. As you drive over the barren wasteland that is Rannoch Moor, you get to the brow of the hill, and all of a sudden the mountains of Glen Coe loom in front of you. Magic.
2. The "Trollvegen" or Troll road in Norway, from Geiranger to Andalsnes. It's the most spectacular road in Europe, with more hairpin bends than you could imagine. Not a good place for brake failure though.
3. The road from Sexten to Cortina to Brunico in the Italian Dolomites.
4. The King's Highway in Jordan, from Amman to Aqaba. When you reach the descent from the plateau and look over the desert sands and mountains that stretch all the way to Saudi Arabia, it's mindblowing.
Fort Smith to Fayetteville real nice. Plenty of twisties there. Almost no cops, just have to watch for the trucks. Real good trout fishing up there too. Pac coast hi way is real nice too. San Fran to San Diego has a bunch of nice runs. I've heard north does too, all the way to Seattle, never been. Blue Ridge Parkway Ga to Maryland also real nice with lots of bends. gotta watch out for the deer there.
To keep from Crossing the Rockies at 9,880 ft elevation in a surprise blizzard, I backtracked out of Grand Junction, Colorado and found one of the most scenic roads in America.
1. Hwy 128 from Cisco Utah to Moab takes you thru the Arches Natl Monument alongside the Colorado river and has awesome sandstone sculptures at sunset. Stop in Moab at the Indian Cafe and get some frybread...Umm
2. Coming back from New Orleans Mardi Gras went through Ft. Smith and Branson, Missouri and cut over and too scenic Hwy 19 and followed it north for 2 days. Lovely rolling hills and streams. Follows the Lewis and Clark trail and has many Historical markers and Civil War Interest sites.
3. Hwy 1 up the coast of California from 3 Arch Bay to San Francisco.