Share experiences about people with personality disorders Message Board

• View author's info posted on May 07, 2005 00:51

Southerngirl- great to have you on board.
    Here in UK these days there are more teenaged girls getting eating disorder..my neighbor's beautiful teenaged daughter was at the brink of death and missed 2 years of her schooling while she was getting treatment and is now just on a slow return to normality tho I wonder for how long and the amount of damage she has already inflicted on herself.
    REcognition of her problem took so long within the family that the damage was so far down the line by the time they discovered it was that serious.

Is that a growing problem in the US?
  • View author's info posted on May 07, 2005 00:11

Believe it or not, I have never seen more than a few minutes of that movie. Reason, the movie was too close to home for me. I one had a woman who wanted me almost like the fatal attraction woman. You would not believe the stuff she pulled/did. It went on for years. Eight years after she moved to California I dreamed I took a collect call from her in the middle of my sleep. When I got my phone bill, sure enough, the call was on the bill. She was certainly a party animal, and yes, she was the life of the party. Wonderful personality, top sales person, etc.

I have had many bi-polar friends since then that were not anywhere near that extreme, and those that took their meds were fine.

wwwww
  • View author's info posted on May 06, 2005 22:16

WWWW...I also wanted to tell you...since you were looking for information on Bi-Polar...The movie Fatal Attraction is based on a woman with Bi-Polar Disorder...you may already be aware of that but many people are not.

And...as a therapist I learned early on in college that it is not advisable to have more than one Bi on your client list due to the amount of time and energy they take. It can be frustrating to deal with simply because you do not know who you are dealing with at any given moment. In saying that I mean yes, if they are experiencing mania they are the life of the party...so creative...and a million other emotions all in a 24-hour to several week period then plummet into a debilitating depression within just a matter of hours. What I experienced, and I have only had one client with this disorder, is the resistance of the client to taking medication simply because they did not want to give up the mania experience. This is not uncommon. So it is a constant struggle to maintain rapport strong enough with the client that will continue through the extreme highs and lows of the illness and this can be a rewarding and draining experience.
  • View author's info posted on May 06, 2005 14:44

Here are some of the disorders listed on the web site. Lots of helpful information.

Acute Stress Disorder
    Adjustment Disorder
    Agoraphobia
    Alcohol Dependence (Alcoholism)
    Alzheimer
    Amphetamine Dependence
    Anorexia Nervosa
    Antisocial Personality Disorder
    Asperger's Disorder
    Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
    Autistic Disorder
    Avoidant Personality Disorder
    Bipolar Disorder
    Famous Women with Bipolar Disorder
    Famous Men with Bipolar Disorder
    Brief Psychotic Disorder
    Bulimia Nervosa
    Cannabis Dependence
    Cocane Dependence
    Conduct Disorder
    Cyclothymic Disorder
    Delirium
    Delusional Disorder
    Dementia
    Dementia Associated With Alcoholism
    Dementia of the Alzheimer Type
    Dependent Personality Disorder
    Book Depression (Major Depressive Disorder)
    Dysthymic Disorder
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder
    Hallucinogen Dependence
    Histrionic Personality Disorder
    Inhalant Dependence
    Major Depressive Disorder
    Multi-infarct Dementia
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder
    Nicotine Dependence
    Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
    Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder
    Opioid Dependence
    Oppositional Defiant Disorder
    Panic Disorder
    Paranoid Personality Disorder
    Phencyclidine Dependence
    Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
    Schizoaffective Disorder
    Schizoid Personality Disorder
    Schizophreniform Disorder
    Schizotypal Personality Disorder
    Schizophrenia
    Sedative Dependence
    Separation Anxiety Disorder
    Shared Psychotic Disorder
    Social Phobia
    Specific Phobia
    Tourette's Disorder
  • View author's info posted on May 06, 2005 14:26

Thanks so much. I was aware of that site a couple of years ago but apparently there was a name change from .net to .com. Yes, it is a excellent site. Thanks again for helping me locate the site once more.
  • View author's info posted on May 06, 2005 14:08

WWWWW123...I am a psychologist...ok...sports psychologist...but I am a psychologist *lol*...trained in it all...and I know of a web site that is very informative that might have some information that would be helpful to you....it is mentalhealth com. I am sorry I have to write the address in that manner but I understand the rules. There is so much information on the internet that is just garbage but this site has factual and informative information on all types of mental disorders and is easy to use. I hope it is helpful.

I also will point out another personality disorder that runs very close to narcissism and that is Histrionic personality disorder...they are similar in characteristics...and sometime difficult to distinguish...so it also could be something you might want to look into as well...

I hope this is helpful for you...
  • View author's info posted on May 06, 2005 10:32

When in bi-polar manic mode:

I read some time ago that a old time famous composer must have worked over 20? hours (or more), per day just to manually write his composition on paper, (not counting any thinking or rewrite time) --to have composed his creation in the 6 weeks he actually took. In other words, almost no sleep for about 6 weeks. Whatever the exact numbers are, it was a amazing feat. Very high energy, keen mind, extremely creative seems to be common in manic mode.

I had a friend that was married to a bi-polar that spent $135,000 on his way back from getting out of the hospital where he had been treated and stabilized (they thought). - was still in manic mode. Fortunately he could afford it.

Another friend,went on a shopping spree last Christmas, ordering from catalogs all new furniture, clothes, 4 leather coats, etc. because her doctor was trying out new medicine and it wasn't working. - manic mode. She couldn't afford it.

I think when in depressed mode, behavior is usely more typical of ordinary depression.

If you spot someone acting similar, get them proper medicine. It is very treatable as I understand, and their life will become stable.

There is a lot of information about personality disorders on the net. Educate yourself and help someone in need.

ps. I don't think personality disorders are considered mental illnesses by the medical folks. Just chemical imbalances. Would appreciate inputs to this thread by some medical professionals.
  • View author's info posted on May 05, 2005 20:27

If anyone has any experience with a bi-polar (manic depressant), I would love to have them describe them how they act in manic stage. (ie shoping sprees, high energy, etc.)

Some clinical type of information on narsistic, or real life experinces with borderline personality disorder person would also be informative.
  • View author's info posted on May 05, 2005 10:49

One of the things that scares me about mental treatment for young people is when they go to look for a job if they are truthful and say they have been in a mental health treatment program they are sometimes treated as if they are crazy or a pariah of some sort. You can get any other kind of medical treatment and you are not treated that way. This seems so unfair to me.

Adults who have been in the job market for awhile and may have lost their job and are looking for another may be treated the same way or worse.
  • View author's info posted on May 05, 2005 10:41

There is a group you can find in most of the larger cities and maybe some not so large called RECOVERY that you can find the telephone number of in the directory or from Information.

A doctor had so many patients that had been in treatment but were out who still felt the need to talk with him that he wrote a book called RECOVERY and the organization got started. It may not be for all people but you might like to check it out.
  • View author's info posted on May 05, 2005 02:25

I agree with you Katiegirl about the availability of help for these sufferers..
    I am currently helping a friend to identify a school in the US for her son who I suspect is either dyslexic/ADD or has some form of learning difficulty and problem and it does not help that he has a sister who is extra bright and beautiful and therefore constantly being compared. It has been a problem for years but because they were expatriates moving from place to place hoping that each school he went to would help..but now at 16, he has got worse..and the educational psychologists they consult always claim that he was only mildly dyslexic..and so the problem gets ignored or shelved..I have suggested that he try a summer camp for teens with learning difficulties this summer in the US before they move him over to US or wherever..any recommendations anyone?
    This boy is currently in an INternational American school in Shanghai and has probably been through about 6 different schools in his academic life..so he is probably a confused kid as well..
  • View author's info posted on May 05, 2005 02:12

I attended art schools as a child and teen, and every kid in all my classes was an extreme extrovert or an extreme introvert. Some were heroin addicts at 15-17 and others were the children of strict, disciplinary parents. Still others were "cutters" with small burn marks or scars on their arms or legs. Some were downright wonky and homicidal whack jobs we kept far away from. EVERYBODY was depressed. It was in vogue.

The worst thing about depression, back then and even still today, is its "invisibility." It's one of those dis-eases that has no visible symptoms, no humps, now missing limbs, no wheelchair or white cane. If you tell someone you have it, or ADD, or Fybromyalgia, or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome .... most people stare at you blankly and then, when you aren't looking, roll their eyes at the ceiling. Depression is not always easy to hide, but it?s easier to hide than ADD, in some cases. In order to function in society, those who suffer from either, devise ingenious ways to mask their disorders, concealing their inabilities and fooling everyone around them. But it?s an awful strain to keep such a secret, to pretend to be like everybody else, to hang onto dignity and claim the right to be treated like a ?normal? human being.

Depression or ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) which I like to refer to as "MDG" or "Mis-Diagnosed Giftedness" (lol)... are two "conditions," if I may, .... that you can't prove. As a result ... people don't know as much about them, have a difficult time understanding them, and sometimes flat-out "don't believe in them," although the news is getting out there more now, which reduces the vast numbers of ignorant. That's gotta be good.

......more...
  • View author's info posted on May 05, 2005 02:12

cont'd.....

Yet people, even today, whether in the school, workplace or social circles, will tell those with depression to, "Just su*ck it up and deal with it!" People will tell those with ADD, right to their face ... "That ADD crap is just an excuse for lazy people to get away with not working as hard or to get out of doing better." Both are so misunderstood that, unless more is done to educate the public, there will still be depressed, ADD, suicidal victims out there, like ticking time bombs ready to go off. And who would know? And would they care if they knew?

Both depression and ADD (or ADHD, including Adult ADD) are unique in their isolation of the sufferer. When you wonder why anyone would think of killing themselves.... just not being understood is reason enough to make a depressed person wish they didn't have to deal with it anymore.

And despite what country you're in, despite the health programs in place in any community anywhere in North America, despite the rhetoric and hype and political spinning ...... there is no help. Not the right kind of help. Not the kind of help people who suffer from either NEED; just the kind of help that concerned help-givers can provide and the pseudo-do-gooders setup to give the impression of helping.

I think depression and ADD will be around for a long time yet.
  • View author's info posted on May 05, 2005 02:09

Weelassy,
    You seem like someone who is an expert in this area..I always am curious how one could determine that the mental disorder is one where you need a psychologist or a psychiatrist or a psycho-analyst...who then is the final arbiter as to what you need?

Here in UK ,even if you have private health insurance, your first base is a GP who has little knowledge of that area of medicine and it all depends on who he refers you to..and the long road to finding the right help is really like a needle in a haystack, it needs a lot of researching thru word of mouth, recommendation, ..and of course the medical profession does not advertise ,so the search for the right help could take forever...and truly frustrating ..wahtever the illness.
  • View author's info posted on May 05, 2005 00:47

Many things can trigger debilitating depression. Feelings of depression are caused by a chemical change that affects how the brain functions.

A normally functioning brain is a giant messaging system that controls everything from your heartbeat, to walking, to your emotions. The brain is made up of billions of nerve cells called neurons. These neurons send and receive messages from the rest of your body, using brain chemicals called neurotransmitters.

These brain chemicals?in varying amounts?are responsible for our emotional state. Depression happens when these chemical messages aren?t delivered correctly between brain cells, disrupting communication.

Think of a telephone: if your phone has a weak signal, you may not hear the person on the other end. Their communication is muted or unclear.

The good news is that there are many forms of treatment that can help you cope with depression, including medications that can strengthen weak signals by raising the levels of certain neurotransmitters, or by improving the neurons? ability to process signals. This ensures that the brain?s vital messages are delivered?loud and clear.
  • View author's info posted on May 05, 2005 00:38

Although men are less likely to suffer from depression than women, 3 to 4 million men in the United States are affected by the illness. Men are less likely to admit to depression, and doctors are less likely to suspect it. The rate of suicide in men is four times that of women

Even if a man realizes that he is depressed, he may be less willing than a woman to seek help.

Only in the past two decades has depression in children been taken very seriously. The depressed child may pretend to be sick, refuse to go to school, cling to a parent, or worry that the parent may die. Older children may sulk, get into trouble at school, be negative, grouchy, and feel misunderstood. Because normal behaviors vary from one childhood stage to another, it can be difficult to tell whether a child is just going through a temporary "phase" or is suffering from depression.

My poor girlfriend is experincing the 5 stages now as her brother who was gorgeous young and had hid whole life ahead of him hung himself in his famly home. She now is epressed because she did not or was not able to grow through the greiving as we all would normally because she was 5 months pregnant. She oftens gets anger at her brother that did that to her and her Family. All I can do is be her suonding board and tell her he was very saddened and not thinking logically because if he was he would not like the outcome not wish them(his family pain)but his pain was to great and she is not to blame.
  • View author's info posted on May 05, 2005 00:29

A depressive disorder is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts. It affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one feels about oneself, and the way one thinks about things. A depressive disorder is not the same as a passing blue mood. It is not a sign of personal weakness or a condition that can be willed or wished away. People with a depressive illness cannot merely "pull themselves together" and get better. Without treatment, symptoms can last for weeks, months, or years. Appropriate treatment, however, can help most people who suffer from depression.

Depressive disorders come in different forms, just as is the case with other illnesses such as heart disease.
    Some types of depression run in families, suggesting that a biological vulnerability can be inherited. This seems to be the case with bipolar disorder.People who have low self-esteem, who consistently view themselves and the world with pessimism or who are readily overwhelmed by stress, are prone to depression. Whether this represents a psychological predisposition or an early form of the illness is not clear.
    In recent years, researchers have shown that physical changes in the body can be accompanied by mental changes as well. Medical illnesses such as stroke, a heart attack, cancer, Parkinson's disease, and hormonal disorders can cause depressive illness, making the sick person apathetic and unwilling to care for his or her physical needs, thus prolonging the recovery period. Also, a serious loss, difficult relationship, financial problem, or any stressful (unwelcome or even desired) change in life patterns can trigger a depressive episode.
    Women experience depression about twice as often as men.1 Many hormonal factors may contribute to the increased rate of depression in women?particularly such factors as menstrual cycle changes, pregnancy, miscarriage, postpartum period, pre-menopause, and menopause.

Although men are less likely to suffer from depression than w...
  • View author's info posted on May 04, 2005 21:32

sharp
    very sad story- and soo many kids doing it.. seems the 15-18 yr range is at an all time high- i wonder if because at that age u are just starting to evolve into your own self or that at that age situations seem soo much larger then they are at say 40 yrs old- the coping skills of those 18 and under are not yet there-- everything on a 1-10 is a 10

"wonder if those who commit suicide realize how much they are loved, and how much their death will affect those who love them. If they really knew, would they have reconsidered, and not done the act? "

sharp i hear people say suicide is so selfish and get angry at the person but i often think to myself-- my God what pain they must be in to be able to take their own life, so lost and not believing anyone could identify with their feelings.. when realistically we all feel the same feelings from time to time.. i know families where the mom committed suicide - years later the sister did then the brother-- was it gentic the depression or were they simply following moms coping skills?
  • View author's info posted on May 04, 2005 15:42

Bonnie
    Andrea Yates was an example of a clearly sick individual and those around her were aware of it.. yet look what happen.. there is a stigma to having a mental illness- yet there is none to having cancer or any other kinda of illness.. very sad for the individual and sad for the families that A- dont see it or B. choose to ignore it.. a huge population of those that are mentally ill generally have substance abuse issues as well- which mask the mental illness even further..
  • View author's info posted on May 04, 2005 14:22

its the teens that scare me- they isolate and parents dont always see the change they may mistake it as part of the growing independent process..

but on the whole mental illness does not discrimate rich or poor

Yes, NY Chick you are definitely right about mental disorders on all counts. It is a disease that does not generally manifest itself visibly till it is far down the road. In both cases, the two women I knew hid their problems rather well..and living in a society that holds great stigma against people wtih mental disorder, the tendency is for the family and love ones to deny that it exist or that it is not so serious and hence the victim gets ignored.
    the other issue is of course if we are aware that someone has suicidal tendencies but refuse to admit it, we as friends can do little to help..since it is something most people (family and love ones )would deny. I knew an acquaintance (dentist) whom I suspect was that way inclined, and later a psychiatrist friend of mine confirmed it when she examined her cut, but we were not able to help her since she denied that her wrist was deliberately cut..and she moved away..so we just hoped she has not cause herself anymore harm..I guess it is important that we should all be virgilant and observe unusual behaviour of friends and love ones..

Follow - Email me when people comment