#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Cultures and Education > Is it really important to understand different cultures? Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Is it really important to understand different cultures?
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 22, 2005 01:15

These friends explained that when you see people burning the American flag on the news, it is often because they were told the night before at gun point that Suddam would be giving a speech over the Television and they were to gather in the streets to praise Suddam and decry the US and burn their flag. If they did not show up then they and their entire family would be shot!

As for your friend saying they are mean...I wonder if it is not from the last couple of generations that have not had decent education and have only learned what Suddam has wanted them to learn. Since they were young children they have probably been taught to hate Americans, Western culture, etc. It's like brainwashing, don't you think? I wonder what older generations are like...those who are 30+ yrs old now and received a good education before it all collapsed over a decade ago. The old generations can still remember what the 'good life' was like in the 'old days'. But new generations have not grown up with a normal education...they have no past memories to compare their present situation to. This is all they know and life just before 9/11 which wasn't much better.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 22, 2005 01:05

I have friends who are Armenian and escaped from Iraq about 10 yrs ago. He was a Geologist and was quite wealthy there, not so here as they had to leave all their possessions in Iraq. The left separately, a month apart. She crossed the border with their son saying she was going to visit relatives in Israel. She wore much of her jewelery (gold, diamonds, rubies, etc.). She sewed some of her jewelery into the lining of her suitcases. At the border all the jewelery she was wearing was confiscated. They said she could get it back with she returned. A month later her husband escaped. Iraq would NEVER allow any of their professionals to leave the country, especially those connected to the Oil & Gas industry. His Geology degree papers were also sewn into the lining of his suitcase. He had fake papers made up that said he was a labouror. He escaped through Israel, to the UK, then to Canada. He was refused entry into Canada initially, and they wanted to ship him back. Once he took out his papers proving he was a Geologist and could contribute to Canada's workforce he was allowed to stay and get his Canadian citizenship, and his family were allowed to follow him. They were in the UK also by then.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 23:11

Culture (and religion) be damned. There are things that are not acceptable to the world, or to any human that is human.

What is best for ALL of humanity is my main goal and message and terrorism definately is not human.

Now jump on my poor old worn out brain/body.

wwwww

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 14:23

Sharp "Bush is trying to finish the job his father chose not to complete"

No, I have never heard the Special Forces story. And, yes, the Bush Sr. admits that he goofed. He thought the people would overthrow him after the army was destroyed. He was wrong, and admits it.

I know that the muslim women have no rights, especially in public, but have never heard the story about male children. I think the Taliban (sp) were the worst.

One of our local policemen was in Iraq for a year and just returned. He was the one that said some of the women were abusive and mean. They should have been kissing their feet - getting to go to school, being less supressed, etc.

The whole culture is crazy and insane. I am about ready to build that fence and let them kill each other, -- just as long as they leave other countries alone.

Maybe they will become more educated and things will change, but I am not betting my socks on it.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 14:01

Hmmmm ... I don't know 5w's, I heard years ago that muslim women must conform to even the youngest male in the family's wishes. A 3 yr old can give his mother an order and she is not allowed to say no. She can't discipline a young male child either, it must be done by a male, if he chooses. Her sons can beat her, as can her husband for what they perceive as bad behaviour. Actually, I don't believe they need a reason. In their culture it is their God given right. Women are no better than dirt to bare them babies. Preferably male babies. I could be wrong, but I believe that is what I read several years ago.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 13:57

Were you aware that after Kuwait American Special Operations forces sought out Suddam, had a gun to his head and could have taken him out? President Bush Sr. at the time told them to stand down when they reported in to inform they had their target. After that Suddam took to living underground and on the move. He ordered his breakfast/lunch/dinner in one location and had it delivered to eat in another location. All was kept very secretive, so the Americans could never pin point his location again. Many feel that Sr Pres. Bush should have taken him out while they had the chance the first time, and why people feel that Jr Pres. Bush is trying to finish the job his father chose not to complete.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 12:54

Bonnie:"if the world were governed by women there would be less war since which mother would want to send their babies to die"

I have heard from two sourses that the Muslim women are part of the problem. Actually dominant in the home, and sometimes as mean. They may be a equal part of the problem. Anyone disagree, -- esp. someone who is muslim??

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 12:19

Bonnie: "By the same token , millions have died and been killed by the North Korean regime for many years or as long as the Sadam regime..will US intervene too and invade or will they wait to justify that the North Koreans are harboring nuclear weapons that might threaten the rest of the world or another 911"

Saddam and his hinchmen made themselves very visible. First a million died in the Iraq/Iran war. Then the Kirds, then Kuwait invasion. He clearly was a madman to anyone with eyes or brain.

The US learned a lot in Vietnam -you don't fool around. "Get er Done" is the new motto. If North Korea steps outside their borders they will be squashed like a bug. It might not even take a 100 hours on the ground the next time. I don't think they are crazy enough to try anything. They do need to be removed however, their people are starving and backward because of communism. The difference in the North and South Korea economy and standard of living is the proof of their failure.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 01:53

I personally think that spitting on a sidewalk would have been justification enough for me. Some people need to be removed from power, and this bunch certainly so.

--------------------------
YOU sound like you come frommy part of the world where chewing gum was banned and literring gets a hefty fine..spitting would get your tongue skewered..
the making a a dictator stars with a guy who dictates every aspect of personal life..they call it here 'a nanny state'' to some extent I agree with you, when a nation behaves like delinquent infants they do need a nanny to put them right..spare the rod and spoil the child...if mothers bring up their kids better , the state would be that much better..the hands that rock the craddle rule the world and determine the shape of that world...if the world were governed by women there would be less war since which mother would want to send their babies to die..we would prefer to go shopping...
and pretty up our sidewalks..and go into a who ahs got a prettier backyard war...lol

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 01:40

Do we know the names and head count of the people that Sadham, his buddies, and his sons killed. Which would you rather have continue?

By the same token , millions have died and been killed by the North Korean regime for many years or as long as the Sadam regime..will US intervene too and invade or will they wait to justify that the North Koreans are harboring nuclear weapons that might threaten the rest of the world or another 911??
There were clearly 2 major issues involved in justifying invasive intervention into nations that are not part of the UN ..and US as part of the Security Council has to abide by the rules of the UN and SEcurity Council to justify their actions..after all that was the reason for the alliance...but Bush went into war with Blair without the SC's complete support...so the issue is do we allow the police to write their own rules of the game..I mean yeah the John Wayne, wild west hero coming to save the rest of the oppressed world make great legend...and justify alot of actions to save it before it gets destroyed..post invasion of Iraq, we get Hollywood reinstating heroic tales of Lord of the Rings, inter galactic wars ..the triumph of good against evil message is reinforced too as a very good psychological messsage...but to the rest of the 'oppressed world' this message could well be read quite differently as highhanded, sledgemhammer action to kill ants..and ants could only retaliate in lethal obscure but powerful ways..alot of ants will die for their cause..their life is cheap..so if you stir their nest, it could be quite painful and there are many more nests..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 01:38

Bonnie- WMD justification - intervention

I personally think that spitting on a sidewalk would have been justification enough for me. Some people need to be removed from power, and this bunch certainly so.

I read a interesting stastic about the number of young men killed in the Vietnam war. It turns out that except for one year, more young americans were killed in accidents, etc. in the states per 100,000 population than were killed in the war. It appears that driving and drinking, drugs, etc.by youth is more dangerious than war.

How many people in Iraq would be dying if the intervention had not happened.

One needs to know how to interperet numbers before drawing conclusions.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 01:20

wwwww123 write:
Bonnie:

Do we do a head count and know the names of these innocent victims who are caught in the war in their own frontyard?

Do we know the names and head count of the people that Sadham, his buddies, and his sons killed. Which would you rather have continue?
MY point is not about the right and wrong of the war or the justification of American and British invasion BEFORE WMD was sufficiently (statistically and factually) accounted for to justify intervention , which remain a debatable issue in the White HOUse and the British Parliament here and Blair's latest vote counts show clearly that there are dissenting factions which do not agree about the war...
My point is about the power of news and how it is told even by the two major sources which may not necessarily be as impartial as I would like them to be...when a single life ends it is a tragedy but when masses die it becomes a statistic...and when news channel use that philosophy to tell their story making one a statistic and the other a personalised emotional tale then we as news watchers have to be far more discerning..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 01:03

Bonnie:

Do we do a head count and know the names of these innocent victims who are caught in the war in their own frontyard?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 01:00

Bonnie "it is also in danger of becoming indoctrination...in the wrong hands"

True, but not as easy today. TV, Radio, internet all help to combat lies.

Russia encyclopedias were full of lies and distortations in such simple things as how many miles of paved roads or telephones Russia had vs. the same in the US, but the people didn't have any other references. They do today.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 00:59

sharp1 write:
Well hopefully educating them and repeating it over and over will get that message across whether it is via CNN.... That will be difficult if not impossible to overcome even with media or celebrity influences.

----------------------------
The mass media is probably the one sole power that is able to influence minds but also brainwash minds...the subtle messages that are constantly sent ..even the major news channels are in danger of sending messages that are slanted...I remembered when the first round of Gulf war ended in the 80s, my little daughter then 6 rushed out of school and exclaimed..'mummy, the Americans won the war..' I had to correct her and said it was not the Americans but the UN ..the rest of the peace-keeping nations that form the alliance won the war..but did she understand ..?
When we watch the casualties of the Iraq confrontation today..BBC, CNN will go into detail of US and Brit soldiers and their families who are the casualties of the war with personal interviews and coverage in hospitals..but do we care how many innocent Iraqi lives and families too are victims of this conflict or are they just statistics? Do we do a head count and know the names of these innocent victims who are caught in the war in their own frontyard?
As an impartial newswatcher I am constantly aware how news have been covered and that sort of slant is highly effective in sending out emotional messages that could ignite greater anger and unrest...NEWS like history is just a story which could be told in so many ways and in danger of being manipulated too...the truth could be told in so many ways and in so many shades of emotions depending on who and how it is told and for what purpose...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 00:35

becoming a powerful religious figure is about power, not about religion. I think we may have to begin licensing preachers, gurus, priests, and shaman. ______________________________________

some countries do have some sort of watchdog..but when govts. and those in power advocate and use and manipulate religious history /facts as catalyst for war then who dictates the licensing?...the check and balance of all power must rest eventually with an educated mass..
NEVER UNDER-ESTIMATE the power of collective Ignorance...
Education , education..but then it is also in danger of becoming indoctrination...in the wrong hands...just watch the recent Japan /China conflict, Hitler's Nazi...History is only a tale which could be manipulated and told in so many ways for so many purposes...teaching children the ability and courage to discern right from wrong , to stand on their own two feet , to decide for themselves and not be herded by the masses..is probably an important lesson in life's journey..

www... so when are u marrying your inventor friend? Are we all invited to this power wedding? She might turn out far more bossy than us Asian girls...since she has the secret weapon that is so lethal..you are doomed to be with dominatrix whoever u choose..go tinker with your robot woman..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 00:32

these people's children of that hatred, but I think it will be virtually impossible within their homelands

I have said this before somewhere on this site.

I think they are being given this once last chance to become good citizens of the world. The next step will be to build a wall around their region of the world and keep them inside like a bunch of mad dogs. I hope they are paying attention to the temper of the world about terrorism.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 00:24

[. Since she invented it, I am going to ask her to marry me. That should save me from those Asian women. lol Next we are going to work on longevity. That one will be simple.

Want to invest? U can't vote or be on the board.

________________________________-----

WWW..that sort of investment is exactly what I am trying to say..shareholders are just sleeping dogs, powerless unless we form a body to protect their interest..if I can't vote and sit on the board, I won't be putting my money with you...I make it my job to attend AGMs..as a watchdog or a busy body at least..I see it as voluntary corp..the irritating thorn..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 00:19

Well hopefully educating them and repeating it over and over will get that message across whether it is via CNN...but this took place here in Calgary...I believe we can have some influence to rid these people's children of that hatred, but I think it will be virtually impossible within their homelands. These people have held grudges and fought for over 2 thousand years. That will be difficult if not impossible to overcome even with media or celebrity influences.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 00:15

Sharp:
yet the family from Lebanon taught their daughter hatred, and their version of history, and today's politics with respect to both countries. How do we come up with a universal value system

It will have to be via education. Public education will have to somehow find a way to counter the hatred stories. Every person, tribe, culture, or religion needs a place to exist and its crazy for anyone to think otherwise -- and it needs to be pointed out over and over.