MillionaireMatch & Luxury Forum > Cultures and Education > Is it really important to understand different cultures? Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Is it really important to understand different cultures?
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 12:19

Bonnie: "By the same token , millions have died and been killed by the North Korean regime for many years or as long as the Sadam regime..will US intervene too and invade or will they wait to justify that the North Koreans are harboring nuclear weapons that might threaten the rest of the world or another 911"

Saddam and his hinchmen made themselves very visible. First a million died in the Iraq/Iran war. Then the Kirds, then Kuwait invasion. He clearly was a madman to anyone with eyes or brain.

The US learned a lot in Vietnam -you don't fool around. "Get er Done" is the new motto. If North Korea steps outside their borders they will be squashed like a bug. It might not even take a 100 hours on the ground the next time. I don't think they are crazy enough to try anything. They do need to be removed however, their people are starving and backward because of communism. The difference in the North and South Korea economy and standard of living is the proof of their failure.

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 01:53

I personally think that spitting on a sidewalk would have been justification enough for me. Some people need to be removed from power, and this bunch certainly so.

--------------------------
YOU sound like you come frommy part of the world where chewing gum was banned and literring gets a hefty fine..spitting would get your tongue skewered..
the making a a dictator stars with a guy who dictates every aspect of personal life..they call it here 'a nanny state'' to some extent I agree with you, when a nation behaves like delinquent infants they do need a nanny to put them right..spare the rod and spoil the child...if mothers bring up their kids better , the state would be that much better..the hands that rock the craddle rule the world and determine the shape of that world...if the world were governed by women there would be less war since which mother would want to send their babies to die..we would prefer to go shopping...
and pretty up our sidewalks..and go into a who ahs got a prettier backyard war...lol

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 01:40

Do we know the names and head count of the people that Sadham, his buddies, and his sons killed. Which would you rather have continue?

By the same token , millions have died and been killed by the North Korean regime for many years or as long as the Sadam regime..will US intervene too and invade or will they wait to justify that the North Koreans are harboring nuclear weapons that might threaten the rest of the world or another 911??
There were clearly 2 major issues involved in justifying invasive intervention into nations that are not part of the UN ..and US as part of the Security Council has to abide by the rules of the UN and SEcurity Council to justify their actions..after all that was the reason for the alliance...but Bush went into war with Blair without the SC's complete support...so the issue is do we allow the police to write their own rules of the game..I mean yeah the John Wayne, wild west hero coming to save the rest of the oppressed world make great legend...and justify alot of actions to save it before it gets destroyed..post invasion of Iraq, we get Hollywood reinstating heroic tales of Lord of the Rings, inter galactic wars ..the triumph of good against evil message is reinforced too as a very good psychological messsage...but to the rest of the 'oppressed world' this message could well be read quite differently as highhanded, sledgemhammer action to kill ants..and ants could only retaliate in lethal obscure but powerful ways..alot of ants will die for their cause..their life is cheap..so if you stir their nest, it could be quite painful and there are many more nests..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 01:38

Bonnie- WMD justification - intervention

I personally think that spitting on a sidewalk would have been justification enough for me. Some people need to be removed from power, and this bunch certainly so.

I read a interesting stastic about the number of young men killed in the Vietnam war. It turns out that except for one year, more young americans were killed in accidents, etc. in the states per 100,000 population than were killed in the war. It appears that driving and drinking, drugs, etc.by youth is more dangerious than war.

How many people in Iraq would be dying if the intervention had not happened.

One needs to know how to interperet numbers before drawing conclusions.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 01:20

wwwww123 write:
Bonnie:

Do we do a head count and know the names of these innocent victims who are caught in the war in their own frontyard?

Do we know the names and head count of the people that Sadham, his buddies, and his sons killed. Which would you rather have continue?
MY point is not about the right and wrong of the war or the justification of American and British invasion BEFORE WMD was sufficiently (statistically and factually) accounted for to justify intervention , which remain a debatable issue in the White HOUse and the British Parliament here and Blair's latest vote counts show clearly that there are dissenting factions which do not agree about the war...
My point is about the power of news and how it is told even by the two major sources which may not necessarily be as impartial as I would like them to be...when a single life ends it is a tragedy but when masses die it becomes a statistic...and when news channel use that philosophy to tell their story making one a statistic and the other a personalised emotional tale then we as news watchers have to be far more discerning..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 01:03

Bonnie:

Do we do a head count and know the names of these innocent victims who are caught in the war in their own frontyard?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 01:00

Bonnie "it is also in danger of becoming indoctrination...in the wrong hands"

True, but not as easy today. TV, Radio, internet all help to combat lies.

Russia encyclopedias were full of lies and distortations in such simple things as how many miles of paved roads or telephones Russia had vs. the same in the US, but the people didn't have any other references. They do today.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 00:59

sharp1 write:
Well hopefully educating them and repeating it over and over will get that message across whether it is via CNN.... That will be difficult if not impossible to overcome even with media or celebrity influences.

----------------------------
The mass media is probably the one sole power that is able to influence minds but also brainwash minds...the subtle messages that are constantly sent ..even the major news channels are in danger of sending messages that are slanted...I remembered when the first round of Gulf war ended in the 80s, my little daughter then 6 rushed out of school and exclaimed..'mummy, the Americans won the war..' I had to correct her and said it was not the Americans but the UN ..the rest of the peace-keeping nations that form the alliance won the war..but did she understand ..?
When we watch the casualties of the Iraq confrontation today..BBC, CNN will go into detail of US and Brit soldiers and their families who are the casualties of the war with personal interviews and coverage in hospitals..but do we care how many innocent Iraqi lives and families too are victims of this conflict or are they just statistics? Do we do a head count and know the names of these innocent victims who are caught in the war in their own frontyard?
As an impartial newswatcher I am constantly aware how news have been covered and that sort of slant is highly effective in sending out emotional messages that could ignite greater anger and unrest...NEWS like history is just a story which could be told in so many ways and in danger of being manipulated too...the truth could be told in so many ways and in so many shades of emotions depending on who and how it is told and for what purpose...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 00:35

becoming a powerful religious figure is about power, not about religion. I think we may have to begin licensing preachers, gurus, priests, and shaman. ______________________________________

some countries do have some sort of watchdog..but when govts. and those in power advocate and use and manipulate religious history /facts as catalyst for war then who dictates the licensing?...the check and balance of all power must rest eventually with an educated mass..
NEVER UNDER-ESTIMATE the power of collective Ignorance...
Education , education..but then it is also in danger of becoming indoctrination...in the wrong hands...just watch the recent Japan /China conflict, Hitler's Nazi...History is only a tale which could be manipulated and told in so many ways for so many purposes...teaching children the ability and courage to discern right from wrong , to stand on their own two feet , to decide for themselves and not be herded by the masses..is probably an important lesson in life's journey..

www... so when are u marrying your inventor friend? Are we all invited to this power wedding? She might turn out far more bossy than us Asian girls...since she has the secret weapon that is so lethal..you are doomed to be with dominatrix whoever u choose..go tinker with your robot woman..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 00:32

these people's children of that hatred, but I think it will be virtually impossible within their homelands

I have said this before somewhere on this site.

I think they are being given this once last chance to become good citizens of the world. The next step will be to build a wall around their region of the world and keep them inside like a bunch of mad dogs. I hope they are paying attention to the temper of the world about terrorism.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 00:24

[. Since she invented it, I am going to ask her to marry me. That should save me from those Asian women. lol Next we are going to work on longevity. That one will be simple.

Want to invest? U can't vote or be on the board.

________________________________-----

WWW..that sort of investment is exactly what I am trying to say..shareholders are just sleeping dogs, powerless unless we form a body to protect their interest..if I can't vote and sit on the board, I won't be putting my money with you...I make it my job to attend AGMs..as a watchdog or a busy body at least..I see it as voluntary corp..the irritating thorn..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 00:15

Sharp:
yet the family from Lebanon taught their daughter hatred, and their version of history, and today's politics with respect to both countries. How do we come up with a universal value system

It will have to be via education. Public education will have to somehow find a way to counter the hatred stories. Every person, tribe, culture, or religion needs a place to exist and its crazy for anyone to think otherwise -- and it needs to be pointed out over and over.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 20, 2005 20:50

Bonnie"
underlying universal philosophies of all races/religion /culture are not that dissimilar..it is sometimes misinterpreted by bigots of this world who choose to use misinterpretations for their own private agenda that could ruin this world.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
To me, becoming a powerful religious figure is about power, not about religion. I think we may have to begin licensing preachers, gurus, priests, and shaman. Then, when they loose their license in the local court for advocating murder, they can't preach nomo.

wwwww

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 20, 2005 20:43

Bonnie" today it is the board of directors of the most powerful corporations in the world who truly govern the world...corporate power far outstrips political power most times"

Bonnie, just because you are cheep, cheep doesn't mean you always have to be wrong, wrong.

We have always had powerful corporations and rich men, since the industrial revolution. Economic power is indeed power, but as rich as Bill Gates is, he couldn't buy one aircraft carrier.

Further: Castro simply just took over Cuba, even though there were plenty of rich plantation owners, hotel and tourist businesses, owned by large corporations. Mao took over China. Iraq, etc. the list goes on. Political power and murder cannot be ignored, -- they can just nationalize everyone's assets.

Now, if I can ever market a bacteria and virus killer that is cheep, cheep, I may be able to take over the world. Who wouldn't want it. What power - agree with the corporation and you get to live. Much better than a software product or Wal Mart goods. I am having my friend/bio chemist whipping up a batch right now. Since she invented it, I am going to ask her to marry me. That should save me from those Asian women. lol Next we are going to work on longevity. That one will be simple.

Want to invest? U can't vote or be on the board.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 20, 2005 11:12

Economic punishments by UN. Like they did to Iraq.

UN to establish values,

Smiles and smoking is not a value system consideration.

Culture be damned. There are things that are not acceptable to the world.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 20, 2005 09:57

www. your Utopic wish is a pie in he sky...
The UN was established for this very reason to establish a fundamental set of ideals for political, socio-economic governance of the countries that were signatories to this assembly post WWII. HOwever, who is the police and administrator of the UN body..International organisations have a fundamental problem..the Lion of the tribe will continue to be the leader and the controller and guess who that is?
SEcurity Council of the UN ..who is to ensure that every signatory to the UN abide by their broad principles, remain to this day a weak body..the recent Iraq furore is a clear e.g....
Decisions made at the top are rarely followed thru and at the UN they only have persuasive powers and not real political sanctions and the power game comes into play constantly...true power resides in economic power , china has now become such a huge threat to the rest of the world in because of that reason alone, the yellow giant has had a taste of what free market and capitalism is all about..capitalism at its extreme is just as treacherous and insiduous r and the form of control is much more pervasive and invasive , Bill Gates in truth is a far more powerful man than George Bush ..today it is the board of directors of the most powerful corporations in the world who truly govern the world...corporate power far outstrips political power most times...trade embargoes, tariffs,are clear evidence of the worst kind of threat to free market practices...these are often instigated by politicians who are under pressure by the economic power bases of this world...USA politicians need huge funding before they could even contemplate running as a candidate..most times it is easy to become a pawn or a puppet in this game of politics..simply put...the hand that holds the purse string to the world governs it..fire power also means money power..politicians , corporate leaders are like baby nappies which need changing constantly for the same reason...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 20, 2005 09:13

Would it be possible to establish a basic value system for the whole world and punish in some way any country violating this UN type of value system. Only cover the biggies, such a human rights, children s rights, non aggression, zero tolerance for terrorism, voting, -- list to be continued.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 20, 2005 08:27

TAgore , India's well known poet philosopher once said: 'The birth of the Nation marked the death of Mankind.'

the human race has not evolved that far from the animal kingdom , we remain primates and tribal in both thoughts and action. We mark our own territories...color, race, creed, class, political, religious...

Fundmentalist/fundamentalism- has been a much abused word, the dictionary definition 'strict adherence of tradition, foundation..principles.....
has been used now to mean and to be synonymous to the term 'Extremist or extremism'i.e. people who practise fanatical or political views...whether they be Christian or Muslim or any religious or political sect..extremism is different from Fundamentalists...
If all were fundamentalist then we return to the origins and foundation of all religion or political philosophy ..which I would surmise is all about GOOD values, love of our fewllow human beings as well as those lesser creed , civil social and familial conduct, tolerance and respect for others who are different from us..

'A little learning is a dangerous thing , drink deep not the Aerian Spring'...is a profound philosophy that all of us of any origin or background should understand and the more we are willing to learn about others , the more we will learn about ourselves...and the more we will realise that the underlying universal philosophies of all races/religion /culture are not that dissimilar..it is sometimes misinterpreted by bigots of this world who choose to use misinterpretations for their own private agenda that could ruin this world...WORDS in any language could be open to such a lot of abuse...hence i advocate learning the languages of as many countries...language is a much under-rated tool to peace in this world...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, May 18, 2005 18:16

Good question... I think the only way to be able to eliminate racism is to explore other cultures and belief systems.

Coming from Canada, we are one of the few countries in the world that actually embraces multi culturalism, the government spends lots of money on promoting this.

I have been to countries that were very nationalistic and minorities were treated unfairly, whether it was based on reglious beliefs or by culture/ethnicity and I have to say that it was not a very postive experience.

One place that people may find interesting is Switzerland with the UN there in Geneva....I took my son to visit his father there on a few occasions, the second time I went -within 2 days of my arrival a letter came to me telling me to provide proof of my means and quite bluntly telling me that because I was of Canadian citizenship and my son was British that we would not be allowed to apply for refugee status! OK then I had to report to the local police station and provide them with evidence of funds for my 2 week visit and reply to their letter in either French, German or Italian (none of which I speak or can write)

The truth about Swizerland and their very nationalist ways hit home when I was approached by a little old Swiss woman who was talking to me in French and what I gathered by her gestures was that she could not believe this little carmel colored baby that I was breastfeeding was my own...lol

I realized that day that there is no mixing of ethnicities there. There is a 0 immigration policy in Switzerland also, they don't want forgeiners there unless you work for the UN. Even if you marry a Swiss it does not automatically give you the right to stay there either.

Sorry just venting a little...

But what I meant to say was that I believe the education we recieve here with regards to embracing muliculturalism works. We are a very tolerant society and most people respect others religions and ethnicity.