#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Cultures and Education > Famous Quotes/Wisdom from around the world Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Famous Quotes/Wisdom from around the world
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 30, 2005 00:26

The Power of SELFLESSNESS

Heaven is eternal, the Earth everlasting
They can be eternal and everlasting
because they do not exist for themselves
for that reason they can exist.

Therefore Evolved Individuals
put themselves last
and yet they are first
Put themselves outside
and yet they remain.
Is it not because they are without self-interest that their interests succeed?

FU HSI (2953-2838 BC)

first legendary emperor credited for the invention of the calendar, marriage contract and creator of string instrument. Taught his people to fish, hunt, cook and raise domestic animals for food. INventor of the I ching trigrams while observing the shell of the tortoise..recognising the roles of constancy and change in nature and applied them to the affairs of society, creating one of history's first management systems.
For the evolved individual who acts selflessly , their desires are transformed and they developed priorities that are aligned intelligently with both current situation and with larger influences in the world. For this reason as their aims are fulfilled , their environment evolves.

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 30, 2005 00:22

Cub39 write:
Hmmmmm. This might imply that Tao and Bush are opposites.

CUB, about time some of the world leaders read the TAo of Power, recording observations of ancient emperors of China and the origins of one of the oldest philosophical thoughts...of the oldest civilisation in the world..how did they survive this long thru so much natural and man-made disasters? Perhaps they hold secrets that we have only begun to understand?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 29, 2005 00:46

some Chinese philosophical thought from the TAo of Power:

The way of NOninterference

Those who would take hold of the world and act on it
Never I notice, succeed

The world is a mysterious instrument
Not made to be handled
Those who act on it, spoil it
Those who seize it , lose it

so in Natural Law
Some lead, some follow
Some agitate, some remain silent
some are firm, some are weak
Some carry on, some lose heart.

Thus Evolved Individuals
Avoid extremes,
Avoid extravagance
Avoid excess.

-Emperor Yao (died 2258 B.C.)

he understood clearly the importance of leadership and believed that strong social order was based on universal patterns which he did his best to record. He kept a record of astronomical observations -the cycles of the moon and planetary revolutions-compiled a calendar consisting of 360 days and 4 seasons. Thus he is credited with teaching his people to regulate agriculture by sowing seeds at the proper season.

Evolved individuals are those who are always in harmony with the deeper trends in the evolution of society. They exert the force of their convictions through a state of focused inner awareness, while externally they practise strategic noninterference. Those who follow Tao are reluctant to push things to the extreme,including extremes of complacency , for they know that this can lead to undesirable consequences. Instead they strive to maintain their intellectual balance by experiencing the rhythms of natural events with emotional independence.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 28, 2005 00:58

Writing and Speaking Mark Twain

"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way."

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

"Whiskey is for drinking. Water is for fighting over."

Money and Finance Mark Twain
"October. This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February." "Pudd'nhead Wilson" (1894)

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain."

Courage Mark Twain
"Courage is to resist fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."

Education Mark Twain
"Do not let school interfere with your education."

Facts Mark Twain
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please."

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 28, 2005 00:54

Government and Politics Mark Twain

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

"The citizen who sees his society's democratic clothes being worn out and does not cry out is not a patriot but a traitor."

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

"First God created idiots, this was for practice. Then he made congress."

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress."

People's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 28, 2005 00:50

Mark Twain

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
"I've never killed a man, but I've read many an obituary with a great deal of satisfaction."
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
"There are no dialogues, only intersecting monologues"
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."
"None but the dead have free speech."
"Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'."
"Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!"
"They spell it 'da Vinci' and pronounce it 'da Vinchy.' Foreigners always spell better than they pronounce."
"Every generalization is dangerous, especially this one."
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 28, 2005 00:47

Truth from Mark Twain
"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't"
"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
"Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain."
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live."
"Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with."
"I am opposed to millionaires, but it would be dangerous to offer me the position."
"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it."
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way."
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
"A lie can make it half way around the world before the truth has time to put its boots on."
"The truth is a precious thing. Therefore, use it sparingly."
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction."

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 28, 2005 00:43

To string incongruities and absurdities together in a wandering and sometimes purposeless way, and seem innocently unaware that they are absurdities, is the basis of the American art, if my position is correct."
Source: Mark Twain "How To Tell A Story" (1897}

? "In a monarchy, the king and his family are the country; in a republic it is the common voice of the people. Each of you, for himself, by himself and on his own responsibility, must speak. And it is a solemn and weighty responsibility, and not lightly to be flung aside at the bullying of pulpit, press, government, or the empty catch-phrases of politicians. Each must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, and which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide it against your convictions is to be an unqualified and inexcusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let men label you as they may. If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right way according to your convictions of the right, you have done your duty by yourself and by your country--hold up your head. You have nothing to be ashamed of."
Source: Mark Twain "Papers of the Adam Family"

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 27, 2005 06:31

IN the west man marries the woman he loves, in the EAst man learn to love the woman he marries but also learn to love other women too..and hence they have a harem of wives and concubines...

---mine and anon

As soon as we lose the moral basis, we cease to be religious . There is no such thing as religion over-riding morality . Man for instance cannot be untruthful , cruel or incontinent and claim to have God on his side..Gandhi.

Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We ahve grapsed the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon on the Mount..

-anon-

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, May 26, 2005 22:18

Abraham Lincoln:
Character is like a tree and a reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Mark Twain:
Get the facts first. You can distort them later.

Abraham Lincoln:
I am for those means which will give the greatest good to the greatest number.

Theodore Roosevelt:
I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.

Winston Churchill:
It's not good enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

Thomas Edison:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Epictetus:
The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests.

Albert Einstein:
The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Peter F. Drucker:
The most serious mistakes are not being made as a result of wrong answers. The truly dangerous thing is asking the wrong question.

Socrates:
The nearest way to glory is to strive to be what you wish to be thought to be.

Theodore Roosevelt:
The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything.

Winston Churchill:
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.

Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, May 26, 2005 21:56

Benjamin Franklin
Remember that time is money.

Benjamin Franklin
Little strokes fell great oaks.

Benjamin Franklin
Plough deep while sluggards sleep.

Benjamin Franklin
God helps them that help themselves.

Benjamin Franklin
He that goes a borrowing goes a sorrowing.

Benjamin Franklin
There never was a good war or a bad peace.

Benjamin Franklin
Never leave that till to-morrow which you can do to-day.

Benjamin Franklin
Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other.

Benjamin Franklin Quote
We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.

Benjamin Franklin
Early to bed and early to rise, Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.

Benjamin Franklin
Vessels large may venture more, But little boats should keep near shore.

Benjamin Franklin
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of.

Benjamin Franklin
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin
Idleness and pride tax with a heavier hand than kings and parliaments. If we can get rid of the former, we may easily bear the latter.

Benjamin Franklin
Our Constitution is in actual operation; everything appears to promise that it will last; but in this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

Benjamin Franklin
A little neglect may breed mischief: for want of a nail the shoe was lost; for want of a shoe the horse was lost; and for want of a horse the rider was lost.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, May 26, 2005 21:50

Murphy's Law
If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

Murphy's Law
If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then.

Murphy's Law
If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.

Murphy's Law
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Murphy's Law
Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.

Murphy's Law
Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.

Murphy's Law
Every solution breeds new problems.

Murphy's Law
Enough research will tend to support your theory.

Murphy's Law
When there is a very long road upon which there is a one-way bridge placed at random, and there are only two cars on that road, it follows that: (1) the two cars are going in opposite directions, and (2) they will always meet at the bridge.

Murphy's Law
Smile... tomorrow will be worse.

Murphy's Law
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

Murphy's Law
You never run out of things that can go wrong.

Murphy's Law
No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy.

Murphy's Law
If your advance is going well, you are walking into an ambush.

Murphy's Law
The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Murphy's Law
Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

Murphy's Law
If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

Murphy's Law
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

Murphy's Law
All's well that ends.

Murphy's Law
A meeting is an event at which the minutes are kept and the hours are lost.