#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Business topics > Marketing yourself as a "product or service" Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Marketing yourself as a "product or service"
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 14:05

. . . because that's exactly what we're all doing here. As human beings, we have and do things that provide value to other human beings, whether it be affection, physical safety, companionship, back rubs, opinions and advice, eye candy, a home cooked meal, whatever. Our job is to make ourselves appear high-value, yet still a "bargain" for the "price."

Thoughts, anyone? Are you a "bargain?"

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Apr 16, 2006 00:23

My brother in law,a VP for a major insurance company told me that everyone is a salesperson to some extent in the lighter side of the issue one might hope to make a favourable impression on someone that they are about to take out on a date.The cold side of it all would be in making unsaid or inferred deals with one another as in a bartering session.There is an enormous amount of grey area inbetween not to mention aproaching the issue from a different perspective so as to gain more and perhaps better fruits from the issues at hand.
Like one of the contributors
mentioned earlier there is chemistry,there are feelings involved,There are personal thoughts and opinions on a myriad of topics all of which
define us to who and what we are.We all have the sum total of all of our life experiences complete with our acomplishments as well as our emotional scars.If we are to market ourselves as products or services it might serve to create barriers around us that only serve to make us feel isolated from our own feelings,thoughts and behaviors
as well as to our mate s thoughts feelings and behaviours that the whole idea of intimacy would be lost.In the words of Woody Allen,Sex without Love is an empty experience.

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
BQ
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 05:17

thegoodlife,

As you have shared before you work at the Pentagon and your job is so so...with all what I have read from your posts, I am wondering why you have never started your own business in stylist,marketing beauty products,even endorsing them or owning some sort of salon and modeling agency..you have most of the qualities and intellectual insight to be a great success.

Just a personal observation.

BQ

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 13, 2006 17:32

afs543210 write:
wwww123456 write:
People who believe that they don't have to do anything to be desired don't get very far in life or romance.
Life and romance is really a system of fair trade --- value for value, whatever that may be.

I'd have to disagree with you on this , wwww. While it's true that we can be attracted to someone for doing right things for us, but isn't romance - by definition- is all about "chemistry"
( which hardly has anything to do with "value for value" approach)? Such kind of "fair trade" is more about prostitution than romance, don't you agree?( One Internet correspondent of mine complained that the lady he asked out for dinner "for some reason refused" to provide sex service to him after the dinner. He was outraged when I asked him what made him expect sane woman to provide sex service in exchange for dinner cost - and he sincerely didn't get the idea that what he paid his 20 bucks for was actually THE COMPANY of the woman, and if he didn't feel like her company costs that much, why did he invite her in the first place...:) The next question of mine was, naturally, - why on Earth is he wasting his time on the dating sites instead of using professional sex services , where his "value for value" approach will work perfectly? As I suspected , the answer was : " Call girls cost more than dinner!%

afs,, We are using romance differently. I am thinking long term relationships, which involves much more than chemistry. I subsribe somewhat to "equity theory" in interpersonal relationships, although even "equity" is still just a small part of a lasting relationship. Equity theory does not say that you are equil in any way, but that your total score (with perhaps a 100 criteria that we evaluate in a mate) should approximately equil the total score of the mate, - although you may be completely different. Thus you may trade your "value" for his "value" and both think its a good deal. I believe Goodlife also stated this concept somewhat in a different way.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 10, 2006 20:55

afs543210 write:
wwww123456 write:
People who believe that they don't have to do anything to be desired don't get very far in life or romance.
Life and romance is really a system of fair trade --- value for value, whatever that may be.

I'd have to disagree with you on this , wwww. While it's true that we can be attracted to someone for doing right things for us, but isn't romance - by definition- is all about "chemistry"
( which hardly has anything to do with "value for value" approach)? Such kind of "fair trade" is more about prostitution than romance, don't you agree?( One Internet correspondent of mine complained that the lady he asked out for dinner "for some reason refused" to provide sex service to him after the dinner. He was outraged when I asked him what made him expect sane woman to provide sex service in exchange for dinner cost - and he sincerely didn't get the idea that what he paid his 20 bucks for was actually THE COMPANY of the woman, and if he didn't feel like her company costs that much, why did he invite her in the first place...:) The next question of mine was, naturally, - why on Earth is he wasting his time on the dating sites instead of using professional sex services , where his "value for value" approach will work perfectly? As I suspected , the answer was : " Call girls cost more than dinner!%

I have to wonder why any sane man would think a woman should provide sex for dinner. I agree afs, -- he should just visit the professionals.

wwww

BQ
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Feb 13, 2006 08:32

thegoodlife421 write:
I agree, and I wish Bonnie would stop by more often!!!!!

I'm trying to get Bonnie to write a book, I would be on her waiting list for sure as I think the true virtues of life can't be bought. Also I see Bonnie as a romanctic lady by her comment.

BQ

BQ
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Feb 13, 2006 08:23

Bonnie88 write:
HI folks ,
Happy New Year..can't resist responding to this topic..
Advertising and treating ourselves as a 'product' to secure a soulmate would also mean that we need to heed all the attendant health warnings:
You are entering what I label as HOTTIES- Hyperbolic Over The Top Interactive Escapism Space..where we project a self image which may be rather economical with the truth and overly superfluous with the packaging..

so it needs the usual roller coaster ride disclaimer or health warning:

1. must have strong heart
2. not prone to euphoric spells of dizziness and heights
3. take everything with a pinch of salt..

Epicureanism- is the indulgence of the senses with good food, wine and the good life but true Epicurean philosophy does not require lots of money but certainly great friendship ranks high in its priority list.Happiness is true when enjoying a simple meal of nourishing dishes with good and convivial friends in a humble setting than one with pompous superficial people in grand opulent places where real conversation and interaction is absent.
Money could buy you lots but what makes most of us happy can never be bought ..friendship and love , loyalty and faithfulness..are but gifts from above , only endowed but never bought..

Bonnie,

Why don't you write a book on

"Money could buy you lots but what makes most of us happy can never be bought ..friendship and love , loyalty and faithfulness..are but gifts from above , only endowed but never bought.."

Then let me know where it is on sale, I would be very interested to read it as I know by your diversified experiences you could add romance,flare and charm to the book.

BQ

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Feb 12, 2006 18:22

I agree, and I wish Bonnie would stop by more often!!!!!

BQ
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jan 09, 2006 02:26

Bonnie88 write:
HI folks ,
Advertising and treating ourselves as a 'product' to secure a soulmate would also mean that we need to heed all the attendant health warnings:
You are entering what I label as HOTTIES- Hyperbolic Over The Top Interactive Escapism Space..where we project a self image which may be rather economical with the truth and overly superfluous with the packaging..

Epicureanism- is the indulgence of the senses with good food, wine and the good life but true Epicurean philosophy does not require lots of money but certainly great friendship ranks high in its priority list.Happiness is true when enjoying a simple meal of nourishing dishes with good and convivial friends in a humble setting than one with pompous superficial people in grand opulent places where real conversation and interaction is absent.
Money could buy you lots but what makes most of us happy can never be bought ..friendship and love , loyalty and faithfulness..are but gifts from above , only endowed but never bought..

This from what you wrote Bonnie "Money could buy you lots but what makes most of us happy can never be bought ..friendship and love , loyalty and faithfulness..are but gifts from above , only endowed but never bought.."

Very true,,,you have been around as it shows in your seasoned words.

BQ

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jan 08, 2006 01:46

HI folks ,

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Jan 07, 2006 15:30

Darling, my "list" was not exhaustive; I was only responding to what Larrye said about wine, food and travel, that's all!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Jan 07, 2006 11:09

thegoodlife2005 write:

wwwww123 write:
thegoodlife2005 write:
. . . and who wouldn't love a life filled with money, travel, good wine and good food? LOL, what's not to like!

If you study a bit, I think you will_find that the best people on this earth, or the best who have ever been on this earth were not concerned about your list.

Not true, 5ws . . . every WISE person I know, rich or poor, loves travel, spirits (unless they gave 'em up), and good food. Money is simply a means to this end.

Welcome back though!

Have to agree with 5Ws on the list... You do have some "things" on your list that rich people enjoy. Wealthy people would probably list sharing stories with friends, time with family, and the caresse of a lover's hand much higher on their lists.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Jan 07, 2006 09:09

wwwww123 write:
thegoodlife2005 write:
. . . and who wouldn't love a life filled with money, travel, good wine and good food? LOL, what's not to like!

If you study a bit, I think you will_find that the best people on this earth, or the best who have ever been on this earth were not concerned about your list.

Not true, 5ws . . . every WISE person I know, rich or poor, loves travel, spirits (unless they gave 'em up), and good food. Money is simply a means to this end.

Welcome back though!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jan 06, 2006 16:35

thegoodlife2005 write:

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Dec 26, 2005 11:08

When I'm looking for a job I market myself.

In my personal life I am "As Is."

If the effort I put forth in taking care of myself, body, mind, and soul isn't marketable as is, then I don't deserve to be bought.

BQ
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Dec 26, 2005 08:42

thegoodlife2005 write:

Yep ! as I can see it you are off the market again and have met this 10 language man who has swept you off your feet...enjoy the good wine and travel...I'll leave the money out of this; as you shouldn't love a person for his money but his heart.

Good luck thegoodlife and a Happy New Year to you.

BQ

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 23, 2005 08:12

thegoodlife2005 write:
Well . . . despite my high-maintenance exterior I'm emotionally LOW maintenance, come with all the bells and whistles, and many nice perks. My current boyfriend thinks this makes me a bargain . . . it's just a matter of time before he'll have to decide whether or not to "buy the cow" or go off in search of more "free samples" from other cows . . . LOL . . . . !!! At which point this cow goes back on the market . . .

. . . moo?

I don't think I will ever see that famous US marketing campaign again without a big grin on my face...

"Got milk?"

:o)

larrye2001 write:
No marketing skills here,...................

just some snow jobs,misdirection, fabrication,confusions,tricks and honest lack of knowledge, making us all normal and on the same page...............

If anyone knew how to guarantee a commitment would work, their book would out sell the Bible................

I've re worded my profile ( being honest each time)and attracted a different group of women viewers each time............................
My best response was when I implied, money,travel,fine food and wine................

Nothing wrong with wanting these things, just what I discover.

Seems to me that "implying and "rewording profiles" would exactly be the exercising of marketing skills... :o) Not sure if I learned that in MBA class or the school of life.

On the commitment book, that might be a good seller it might not. I guess trust and commitment have to go hand in hand. That is the thing in a relationship, you can only be commited to holding up your end of the negotiation. When you start trying to hold up their end of the commitment too, then problems start. I guess the book I would like to see would be on negotiating the compromise that leads to the commitment.

I do see many similarities between dating and working. Basically, we are all here with our resumes trying to find another job. Weekly hours of employment, as well as job duties, responsibilites, fringe benefits are all on the table. I am not sure which is harder: Leaving a job or leaving a GF. I have many of the same feelings there... I sometimes wonder if my job is datable. LOL... Sure, it is not the best job, but it does pay the bills. But I have had the same job for 12 years and most GF's only 7-11 months.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Dec 22, 2005 08:28

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Dec 03, 2005 20:55

No marketing skills here,...................

just some snow jobs,misdirection, fabrication,confusions,tricks and honest lack of knowledge, making us all normal and on the same page...............

If anyone knew how to guarantee a commitment would work, their book would out sell the Bible................

I've re worded my profile ( being honest each time)and attracted a different group of women viewers each time............................
My best response was when I implied, money,travel,fine food and wine................

Nothing wrong with wanting these things, just what I discover.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Dec 03, 2005 01:27

When it is all said and done,
we are judged on our reputations.
Harder than any jury we judge ourselves.

Perhaps I sleep alone, but more importantly, I like who I see in the mirror. This is ultimately more important "closing" on a relationship...