#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Pets > For Cutiepie01 - Dog Recall ("Come Here!") Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
For Cutiepie01 - Dog Recall ("Come Here!")
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jul 09, 2006 13:18

1st - Don't be dismayed. This is one of the most difficult behaviors to train even for the experts.

When your dog is outside, you are competing with other elements (interesting smells, other animals, or whatever captures your dog). Outside is a world apart from inside.

When something speaks to your dog, it must decide "go to Cutiepie01? or chase little rabbit?") "What does she have to offer me? A bath? Go home? A spank? I'll take my chances with the rabbit and deal with the punishment later."

1st rule: Don't put your dog in a situation where he will fail. It's not fair to the dog and you will be mad at him. If you know you can't control him, keep him on a leash until he's trained.

2nd rule: Associate only good things with coming to you (whatever command you use). Practice. and practice some more before you need to rely on this command. Go to a park with low distraction (or your backyard). Call for your dog and give him an unexpectedly GOOD treat (or whatever motivates your dog...a toy?) These are high-value treats and you'll need them.

Use a short leash at first if you have to...you want success, not your dog wandering all over the yard.

They make 30' leashes. You can start by training him at 2', then 4', then 10', etc.

Then go to public places with low distraction using the 30' lead. Practice the same way. You can then work up to off leash in a dog park or something with few dogs.

You really have to work up to being off leash with lots of distractions. You may not always have the high-value treats on you, but hopefully on a day that it is crucial for your dog, you can make him think you do. It could save his life.

Rule 3: If you need to call your dog for something unpleasant (like going to the vet, or a bath), go get him, do not call him and certainly do not scold if he does come (you'll undo your progress).

Tip: If you live around others who will undo your work, create a secret word that you use for "Come," maybe German?

Email if u need more.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Jul 12, 2006 13:43

crazybeautiful2000 write:
Oh wow, a real pet trainer! I need help! I have a golden retiever that can read my mind and WILL NOT come near me if I am thinking bath, vet, clean ears, or if I need to put them away in a room when company comes over. If I call her she runs away. Even if I have nothing evil in mind! Even if I put her on a leash, I would have to drag her dead body weight to come with me. She won't get into a car even. And it's hard to chase down and drag and then lift a 65 pound dog into the car! I even try taking her to McDonald's in the car for french fries (her fav) but she still won't get in when I want her to. Not even if my lab gets in first, and then I get in.

FYI, my lab is the best, she does anything I ask her!

Well, you probably have what we call "Shampoo Face" on. Dogs are perceptive. Your dog may not know whether calling her means "go to the dreaded vet" or whether it's "frenchy fries." You'll have to regain some trust and it may take a little time.

LURE! Get some high-value treats and now and then just call her name while you're watching TV or something. If she even LOOKS your way, toss a yummy. Then, if you're at your computer and she's, say, 2' away, call her name and do the same thing. Start close. Keep this up until she can believe that YOU have changed your ways. LOL.

Also, you might want to create a word that means "You MUST come right this minute!" (Pronto! or something like that) and "Come here" can just mean "come if you want to; it's optional (as in, "do you want to come inside the house or stay out in the backyard?"

You just really need to reverse the negative association with the word. You can still have Shampoo Face, but for those times, do not CALL your dog, just go get her and clip a leash on. At least she will have a clue about what to expect.

Hope that helps.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jul 11, 2006 18:05

Oh wow, a real pet trainer! I need help! I have a golden retiever that can read my mind and WILL NOT come near me if I am thinking bath, vet, clean ears, or if I need to put them away in a room when company comes over. If I call her she runs away. Even if I have nothing evil in mind! Even if I put her on a leash, I would have to drag her dead body weight to come with me. She won't get into a car even. And it's hard to chase down and drag and then lift a 65 pound dog into the car! I even try taking her to McDonald's in the car for french fries (her fav) but she still won't get in when I want her to. Not even if my lab gets in first, and then I get in.

FYI, my lab is the best, she does anything I ask her!

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share