#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Business topics > starting a supermarkt- new ideas wanted!!!! Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
starting a supermarkt- new ideas wanted!!!!
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Dec 06, 2005 21:44

I'm looking for new ideas, something that will attract and impress. New products- services- interesting details, anything!

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Apr 16, 2006 17:24

Saw an interesting article in the NYT about a Belgium furniture store that had a beer garden. It is HOT! An investor in the US wants to start a similar project on the east coast. Shopping and drinking, only one thing missing there and I think you've covered the universal needs and desires of your customer base.

If you want a good formula, look at IKEA. That is a company that is always profiled in biz grad school because of it's ultra competitiveness and the way they draw and create loyal customers. Pricing is key, loss leaders to get customers in the store and a lot of impulse items, reasonably priced, to create higher ticket sales.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Mar 04, 2006 14:00

milady21 write:
Thanx everyone!! I'm still in the prosess of gathering information. There are no buildings in my area that can house this project, now we're looking for a place to build it, the whole thing will take about a year- so I still need your advice on how to make it the best place in the city!!

PriceMatch just like Wal-Mart or when another store nearby is having a sale, go a little cheaper on the same thing and advertise it.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Mar 04, 2006 06:38

I could be of great assistance to you, that is my livelihood. I am an owner/operator in a 5 state region, Penna,NY, Conn, Delaware, NJ.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jan 09, 2006 21:36

Thanx everyone!! I'm still in the prosess of gathering information. There are no buildings in my area that can house this project, now we're looking for a place to build it, the whole thing will take about a year- so I still need your advice on how to make it the best place in the city!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Dec 19, 2005 22:42

milady21
Novo, Novosibirskaya Oblast, Russia,
buying a horse is cheap compared to the future cost of maintenance. Russia has some unique conditions, some things to look at:
In California it takes a local population of 50,000 people within 5 miles of your location to support a tropical fish store, for a supermarket it takes about 5000 people in 5 miles.

Also look closely at competition, freight cost into Russia in winter can be a burden , look at competition, look for a produc in the same industry that is to small for the bigger stores to carry, maybe specialize in 50 types of cheese and bread, also if you can try "Last Minute Buying" if your suppliers are close let them carry your inventory for you and order at the last minute. Niche markets are great, like a coffee house,or pickle shop or set up a farmers market you rent them space.Next you can create a new market like specialty kite shop. If you have several choices this is one way to find a solution: Make a list of 20 values you have: like cost to start, work time involved,do you like the work, will this meet your goals; anything that is important to you including vacation, travel time to work; work hours,free time, all your personal values. rank these 20 from most important to least important, one a page list the 20 down the page (1 to 20).. Across the top name every business your considering but no more than 7.as little as 2 businesses will work.now look at your most important value on the list of 20. Decide as follows. under the first business does that value represent a plus or minus to that business(example the first bus. takes two hours travel time and your #1 value is close to work , so the first bus. gets a minus 2,
your second buz is working from your home, if your first value is travel time the #2 buz.travel time get a plus 2, give each buz. a minus 1 or 2 or a plus 1 or 2 based (or a zero)on your 20 values. at the end total up the plus or minus under each buz., any buz. that totals plus 2/3rds is a good buz. to consider. if you do not have a clear winner , do it again. This is easier to do than explain. Try it.

BQ
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Dec 18, 2005 02:25

redhead524 write:
Excellent advice, BQ! Right on target.

I would add this, as it is a pet peeve:
Learn the art of balancing those promotional product stands with the experience of the customer. So many markets have those stands crowding the aisle to the degree that two shoppers cannot be in the same aisle without careful navigation.

The promotional stands could be placed in a "Promotional Only" area or at the very least at the end of aisles, where they would still be quite visible without being annoying.

This may have also been in BQ's recommendations, so excuse me if I'm being redundant: In such a competitive arena, I would carefully choose a target market matched with your geographic area, provide what that audience wants (is it the freshest produce in town, speciality gourmet food items, the best meat?, you get the idea), implement all the operational recommendations BQ suggests and focus on the shopper experience and SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE! (what ever happened to those stores that offered to help you out with your bags?)

You are right Redhead 524..

SERVICE,SERVICE.SERVICE..for a pleasant shopping experience, your suggestion were very good also, as I don't like crammed aisle ..also one important thing I left out is choosing a store name. Like here we have Canadian Super Store, Food For Less, I.G.A. and things like that but the name should identify you sell food or you are related to the food industry. Just a thought.

BQ

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Dec 17, 2005 05:08

Excellent advice, BQ! Right on target.

I would add this, as it is a pet peeve:
Learn the art of balancing those promotional product stands with the experience of the customer. So many markets have those stands crowding the aisle to the degree that two shoppers cannot be in the same aisle without careful navigation.

The promotional stands could be placed in a "Promotional Only" area or at the very least at the end of aisles, where they would still be quite visible without being annoying.

This may have also been in BQ's recommendations, so excuse me if I'm being redundant: In such a competitive arena, I would carefully choose a target market matched with your geographic area, provide what that audience wants (is it the freshest produce in town, speciality gourmet food items, the best meat?, you get the idea), implement all the operational recommendations BQ suggests and focus on the shopper experience and SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE! (what ever happened to those stores that offered to help you out with your bags?)

BQ
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 16, 2005 17:11

milady21 write:
I went to another city this weekend and looked at what they are doing in this field- it was quiet interesting:)) also we need a supermarket with a good discount programme, which will be attractive for clients

If you have these electronic check out system, the bar coded type you can make very quick surveys as to what the majority of your customers buys, what you can do with this information is you can make discounts on these products on various days or weeks whichever you decide and put posters in your store windows as you know which products sell the most, customer will surely come in when they have a sale and get some extra products as they are in..some would just buy the item but the majority would buy something else.

At a time I had a business in a mall and one of the other merchant and I would exchange flyers...he would put my flyer in his customer shopping bag and I would put his in my customer bag and we also had a program of 10 merchant coupon...10 merchant would put there business card or advertisement on a flyer and then we printed it and shared it among each other to put in the purchase bag...so it gave us low cost advertising as each store was selling different products and we didn't necessarily get the same customers but it helped to promote our business. Just a thought.

BQ

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 16, 2005 11:25

Identity. Go to a design firm (a small firm would charge a lot less), put together an identity package for your supermarket, come up with some advertising strategies, perhaps put out flyers of weekly sales items in the stores neighborhood. Do whatever it takes to get people in the door. It is amazing how much money people spend when they intended to spend nothing.

Logic behind strategy is that if no one knows your business exists, no one will come. Entice customers into coming for that fresh salad or banana, or what ever.

Good luck.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Dec 12, 2005 04:44

I went to another city this weekend and looked at what they are doing in this field- it was quiet interesting:)) also we need a supermarket with a good discount programme, which will be attractive for clients

BQ
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 09, 2005 02:02

Well, around here many people like the coffee area as some store provides a little cornor with some tables so you can sit down and grab a donut or other pasteries and chat with some friends and then they go do either there shopping or go home. I've met some nice people this way.

BQ

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Dec 08, 2005 19:24

THANX!! You summarized everything I was thinking about:) especially I liked the idea about the coffee area, we don't have that yet in stores- I first saw it in the states- it's very good idea!

BQ
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Dec 08, 2005 14:07

1) make sure your store is clean at all time.

2) lighting should be very good.

3) check out, where you pay for your food should be as speedy as possible, as when you have a line up; other customers have something else to do and some of them are not interested in your stories or community gossip. Greet with a smile and how are you and get down to business after there answers and smile back.

4) you should have signs made for what major products is on the shelve, and stock with similar related products in that particular row..I've notice hanging sign from the ceiling are best.

5)hang up mirrors as people steal and with mirrors you can watch your store with minimum effort.

6)make your price tag clear and if you have a special make it clear also.

7)accept credit cards if you can as lots of people are paying with them now. I don't recommend accepting personal cheques because you will lose some money that is for sure.

8)keep a note pad handy when people suggest products or complains because if they can't find it at your store they will go to another and if they find the place better than yours, you have lost a customer.

9)always make sure you get your product at best prices...once you are established try to get an extra discount on your products, when you expand always try to get a cheaper wholesale prices as you are creating volume for the wholesaler. Always check other wholesalers, don't fall in love with only one, unless there is an attractive guy you have an eye on..he! he!

10)get your store in a busy place like a mall or where there is a lot of traffic around as if you fail to do this you might be out of business in no time.

11)always be on the lookout for rats and mouse because once they move in and you have not noticed they will make a nest somewhere and then you will have a real problem on your hands. Make sure to leave no food on the floor or in garbage, always dispose it outside everyday you are open.

12)make sure you have interesting sale poster in your store windows at all times as this draws attention and curious people come in and browse.

13)put a budget to advertise in your community newspaper..if it is once a month that is good but twice a month is better..even if it is once every 2 months is better than nothing...it will increase exposure to the community and build your clientele faster. Put flyers out, here in Canada we can post them on telephone post so it is easy to grab people attention as they walk around also use community boards etc..in some communities we put flyers under the wipers of car in a parking lot.

12)always try to go the extra mile for a customer, they will respect you for that and become loyal customers later.

13)always greet your customer with a smile. I knew a consultant and he said if business owner or the workers would smile more and greet client they would build a better customer base.

14)if you have the money, get a lottery booth set up, I knew a friend who made more money out of that booth than his regular store..he sold the store to his son and set up a Lotto booth in another area in the mall.

15)always try to sell fresh produce if you sell vegetables and fruits.

16)make sure your shelves are not too high for the average person.

17)try to set up a coffee area as many people like to grab a coffee on there way out.

These are just some thoughts so I hope it gave you some ideas.

BQ

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Dec 07, 2005 18:53

we r going to sell food mainly

BQ
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Dec 07, 2005 02:07

Well, for a first thought, what kind store are you setting ? Super Market is a real general word...over here there is Super Market for food,cars,trucks,electronics,appliance..so what are you planning to be in ? Be more specific o.k. then we can offer you some ideas.

BQ