#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Romance > Long distance relationships Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Long distance relationships
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Jan 26, 2005 18:54

How do they work? Since you can't do things together on a regular basis it seems that the people you meet locally always take priority. I generally date just one person at a time. Frankly I don't see how the people that date a lot of different people do it. So if I have a swanky event to go to I can't see calling someone from out of state to go. Instead I find someone locally. Just wondering how you develop a relationship with someone at a distance when you are dating someone locally.

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Oct 27, 2013 20:20

Long distance dating has many benefits:

• Every now and then you get to leave your normal life behind. You hop on a train, plane, or automobile and can immerse yourself in someone else's world (Or alternatively, someone you like drops into your life for a finite time, you play and have fun and then they leave).
  • You are required to make no major adjustments to your life, no need to make space in the closet or to do somebody else's laundry.
  • When together, in your space, in theirs, or in some vacation spot, you know your time is limited. So usually both partners are on best behavior. You both want to make the most of the time and are attentive to each other's needs for affection, romance, and physical intimacy. It's hard to pack in a month's worth of sex, play, and romance into one weekend. But it can be fun to try.
  • While it's hard to say goodbye at the end of a weekend, there's an advantage to long distance relationships. When they leave, you have back your space and can settle into your own habits, your own rhythms, and your own lifestyle without any day-to-day attention to the needs of a boyfriend or girlfriend.

Many long-distance couples find this arrangement to be the best of both worlds, living life without constant attention to the needs of a partner, yet having a person with whom you connect periodically for romance and fun.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Oct 26, 2013 14:49

A long distance relationship only works if your matr is telling the truth about herself

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Aug 10, 2013 14:58

I have been wondering, the topic is long distance relationships - do they work? I also wonder does these dating sites really work. Online dating seems so out there, words and pictures on a screen. Where is the face to face meeting, for long distance or online dating? Someone wrote that they will only pick someone locally, so why go online? There are some who say they will relocate for love but really?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Aug 10, 2013 11:09

Does it even work? I have to find it out. A woman who wanna meet me?
For me the long distance relationship means casual meetings with someone who is busy and has a little time to know each other, for conversation or just for fun and sex.My weekends are free. So if you want to know me or wanna watch a good movie do not hesitate to come to Slovakia. 
Have a nice day!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, May 05, 2005 20:54

Sharp, Bonnie and Minerva just want to make sure I don't cut my price and cheat them out of their fee. They also warn women privately via Email that a nut is loose from the ward.
lol

hummmmm LDR in Europe. hummmmmmm
OK.

wwwww

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 10:04

Hey wwwwww...you have a fan club here! You can't escape you know! Wherever you may go on this forum, they will find you! LOL
Have fun!
Considering an LDR in Europe ... lots to see & do!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 04:09

Interesting views.... yes, absolutely - whatever works for each individual!
BTW I've started a new thread about relocating to Europe etc... under Cultures and Education.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 02:34

I hate cold weather, so I would not want to move anywhere that is very cold much of the year. There are a lot of people in the US south with the same opinion, -- many moved from the north of the US. I would also insist a place with a lot of natural beauty. I live in Houston for 30 years, and except for visits to the gulf coast, I hated it.

Europe does not appeal to me. I barely speak english, love to communicate but would have problems there, would be lost there probably. I visited for two weeks in Belgum, France, Switzerland, and Germany. Only really enjoyed the people in only one country of the 4. Of course, I was a tourist, and it is probably different as a residence.

Right now, moving is out of the question - I need to finish my project. I can leave for extended periods, however. I have 20,000 sq. feet of "stuff". Not a trivial task to move, although I would only move a fraction of that when my project if finished.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 02:31

Min..the topic should be RElocation but how far? I have done it several times for far too long and far too far..the price of love should know no distance , the heart is all that matters..LAT works for a lot of my friends..even post-marriage..for those who value the freedom and space which they need.I find a 24/7 relationship claustrophobic myself..cos I have too much I want to do which does not involve having to cater for him..that is why for me my absent husband marriage worked well..to each his/her own really..there is no magic formual..only you could tell what works and what don't..but I just want to let everyone explore the unconventional possibilities on a forum like this..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 02:06

Yes of course, that's understandable. It always comes down to that doesn't it. But you did mention a while back on this thread that you were willing to relocate so you have much wider possibilities.
When people say that they are willing to do that though, do they mean only within the USA and maybe Canada or also to Europe?? I am curious... I would imagine it would be a big upheaval to move all the way to Europe. And where in Europe?? One country is so different from the next one, language-wise, mentality (conservative vs liberal), weather-wise etc.... maybe I should start a new thread called: "Would you move to Europe and where would you like to live if you did?" If anybody has any suggestions or comments here please jump in!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 01:50

Yes, one of us would have to relocate eventually. Unfortunately for me, I am in the middle of a big project and it would be almost impossible for a couple of years, unless I just bailed out and lost my investment in time and money.

but, my project is in Arkansas, not Arizona. AR is Arkansas. AZ is Arizona.
Arkansas is gods country, AZ is for Californians who are trying to get away from it all, but don't know any better.

lol

wwwww

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 01:36

I agree with wwww on this one. A LAT arrangement wouldn't work for me. I would need someone there all the time. I think a long-distance relationship would work for a short time if you know that there within X months you will be together. But I couldn't go on indefinitely like that - too frustrating and alsy too risky. Other temptations coming along to test your willpower (I think the male species are particularly susceptible to this one...), far from the eyes far from the heart perhaps as well...
So wwww.... the conclusion for you is that your dame (whether in humanoid or simian form) would have to either move to Arizona or you would have to relocate. Just making sure.....

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 01:18

"and if you want to cuddle and snuggle forever it is negotiable"

Yes, but you have to start with someone who thinks that would be the ideal situtation if things work out. Not with someone who thinks that LAT is the ideal arrangement.

Forget the dutch thingie. It don't touch back.

ww

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 01:11

wwwww123 write:
"LAT - only meet for fun and frolick on a mutually agreed basis"
_----------------------------------
LAT is a great alternative for those who are not sure how far they wish to take the relationship, a sort of L-drivers lincence or trial..it is up to the couples mutual arrangement..leaving enough freedom and space to manouvre without the full force that could lead to dire consequences..and if you want to cuddle and snuggle forever it is negotiable..and there is always a 'dutch wife' which you could buy to help protect your back and sleep thru the night..now what is a 'dutch wife' ?..it is a slang for a 'bolster' and what is a bolster'? - it is a long pillow ..where kids in the east are used to having one when they sleep , a sort of security blanket..which a child could cuddle and snuggle while sleeping..maybe that is a cheaper alternative..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 00:52

"LAT - only meet for fun and frolick on a mutually agreed basis"

This really wouldn't work for me over the long term. You see, I am scared to sleep alone. I need someone on the other side of me to keep the booger bears off from that direction. Cover my back. lol

I also happen to love to cuddle and snuggle and touch, and would prefer that to happen every day. And then that might lead into something else. Now where is that LAT chick when I need her. Probably out shopping for some more clothes she does not really need.
lol

wwwww

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 00:04

Check my views on LAT -Living Apart Together..a French concept...only meet for fun and frolick on a mutually agreed basis which is a good susbtitute for LTR/marriage or maybe a hybrid of both..since we get older we don't really want the full commitment with the full blast of baggage..whether it be legal, economic or family..and since we no longer need to marry for procreation, why even contemplate marriage?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 19:31

I am guessing, and I mean just guessing, that long distance relationships are more likely to work the older you are. I think you know more what you want, and know how hard/rare it is to find a really good match. I suspect that many of the people on this site are very, very picky about their next mate, and thus are more likely to select someone with the qualities they want and not settle -- and thus are more likely to seriously try a relationship with a good prospect, no matter where they live. In other words, a lot of screening goes on, and then serious follow up, with serious intentions. I know this is true about most of the people I have been in contact with, however, I may be completely wrong about the majority.

wwwww

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 17:29

lol... ok Bonnie... have a good trip to Bulgaria!
OK wwwww... now you have to give me some more info here to make it easier for me: Would you be willing to have a long-distance relationship and why? Do you think these type of relationships work?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 15:14

yeah, Min I m off to Bulgaria , www. is all yours..will do some market research there to see if Gorillas and Gigolos are in demand..