#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Long term relationship and Love > Real Talk: Are You Afraid Of Being Alone? Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Real Talk: Are You Afraid Of Being Alone?
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Dec 06, 2005 19:19

I overheard this discussion on the train between two people last week, where two women were discussing being alone, dating, etc.

One woman said, "Me being a widow, I'm not so much afraid of being alone because I have my children and grandchildren. My husband's love was so deep for me and there was never a doubt in my mind how deep his love was. If his love was a ocean I could sail forever, If his love were money I would be the richest women in the world, If his love was life I would live forever...I am the luckiest person in the world to have been loved so much by one person yet sometimes the saddest person because I can never again tell him how much I love him & thank him for loving me..."
She went on to say, " ...the love I recieved from my late husband will be enough to carry me on throughout my life! I may seek companionship yes, but probably not another love like the one I once had..."

I dwelt on that woman's words for the remainder of my train ride. I'd like to know how many of you have experienced a love that will carry you through for the rest of your life and are now looking for companionship?

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Mar 02, 2014 19:14

There is not a fear of being alone, but a reality that life is best enjoyed with a companion. I have incredible family and friends, but they will never be a true companion.  They are there in a very supportive, but different way.

I would rather be alone, than with the wrong person, but feel so much of life is meant to be done with 2.  Eating out, traveling, movies, concerts, can all be done alone...and I have, even the concerts.  However, finding someone with common interests, is the key to all of this.  If you don't enjoy the same things, it makes it hard to enjoy those times.  I have learned a lot from dating, found new interests from dating, and will not stop looking until I find Mr. Right, for me.

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Feb 09, 2014 22:35

yes, is a paradox. if you ask a woman, she will say that it is the men, if you ask a man he says that women are to blame. :))

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Feb 08, 2014 08:29

That's a sad story. In all honesty, I'm afraid to be in a relationship for fear of being hurt but then facing loneliness is just as hard.  It's a paradox.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Feb 07, 2014 09:14

i think that it's easy to be alone, do what you want without beeing questioned, no obligations, live your life.

this way, no one can brake your heart, do what she need's whit you and than make you suffer.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jan 05, 2014 09:27

love like that can last you for the rest of your life if it was from both people.

I think the biggest problem is in time we take people close to us for granted... as if they are not there. when we learn how to remember that first filling and keep it alive... that is when it will last to the end...I think...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jan 05, 2014 01:07

Absolutely no one wants to be alone. It's nature to have someone you mutually love by your side in life.

It's a great thing. I've had love twice in my life. I regret the first but not the last. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Love is beautiful and secure and makes you feel like you are being hugged by a whole family 24 hours a day.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 27, 2013 07:02

To be honest i do like to spend time when noone is maoning what to do and how to do but i do love have someone around who would support me:)!!!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Aug 27, 2013 18:51

I agree, it is a fortunate  woman who finds the love of her life. I also believe that people who stay married for years are the lucky ones. dedication some hard work to do this, we all know that.

but to truly have someone who knows you inside and out, accepts you for who and what you are,  knows what you like and to have that safety net for you when you fall. I  had that once, a true dedication, i was this mans one and only true Love . I wish had still had that and had done a few things differently.

i am ready for that again and will hang on tight if I am fortunate enough to find him again.

everyone has that long list of what they are looking for, sometimes I think it should be a bit shorter, no ones perfect.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Aug 08, 2013 15:06

I was in a marriage for 22 years and I was so alone. He never gave me any money, did anything special for me for my birthday, anniversary, Christmas. I would have been happy to have had a handwritten note from him. We have three daughters 19, 21 and 24 and sadly my oldest daughter is going through the same thing too. You can be surrounded by people you love but when you don't feel the love or receive it back that deeply hurts.
I am alone and it hurts. I divorced him after 22 years and have been alone now for 4 years. It has been good for me to heal and be alone. I have found myself and who I am and what I love to do. I am ready now to feel a man's love and affection. I will not settle for anything less. I know I have a lot of love and love is not meant to be kept to yourself but to be shared. I do have my children and grandchildren and that is a different kind of love. I want real true honest love. I don't want to go through life and never think I felt real love from  man.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Aug 06, 2013 14:23

No I am not afraid of being alone at all.  Infact I do enjoy a bit to much.  However, I miss the affection, love and having someone to share my life with.  For me, I am looking for love more than money,  but I do like to be pampered and would love to stag home and take care of raising the kids and taking care of the family.  I don't believe a woman should have a job and raise a family at the same time.  I am very old school in that manner.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jul 23, 2012 15:20

I Think You have to learn how to enjoy to be happy by yourself then you can started looking for the other half.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jul 22, 2012 18:58

I have been alone now for a year.  My husband died last year and I am now starting to feel it would be pleasant to share life with another wonderful, loving man.  Am I fearful...I have been, only because of all the opportunities my husband's death has brought me.  If it worked when he was alive... it no longer does!!  I have become quite profficient at many things now.  Tools, equipment, and hard labor no longer make me cry like a little girl :-)   I try to be Zenna, Warrior Princess when I have obstacles to overcome. :-)  33 years of marriage to a man who adored me is going to be a hard thing to replace.  I am now okay with being on my own, and now and even thinking that I had better find someone soon, or I may just like being on my own too much!  It's nice doing what you want, when you want to.  
I will not try to replace what I lost.  I am looking for a new, and somewhat different scenario/relationship.  I do like being adored though.
I am sorry for those of you who have missed out on a long term relationship.  They are the best!! 

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jun 12, 2012 20:37

I am a recent widow of only 2 years this June 15th. I am strong and I have my 10 year old son to keep me busy and although my husband loved me so much and gave me everything I needed to feel loved with his touch, kisses, tears and emotional support I do hope I can find someone to at least tell me I'm pretty, touch me with loving hands etc.. So, they question is do I feel lonely and alone no but at the same time yes I miss love between a man and a women other then the love of my children and family.  The problem is that it is very hard to find someone because you all say you want to meet a love match but can't seem to make a commitment on even hooking up for lunch.  Also, a message to the men...when a women shows interest in you please don't start up with the sex talk it's a turn off.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, May 31, 2012 04:56

Quoting Annabrazil:

You can be with someone and feel alone, and be alone and feel fulfilled…

Sad is when I hear friends telling me that, they are unhappy in their marriage and will have a child to love and fill-in their loneliness….

Yes! That was my case for 16 years ... what a waste of time. Very sad.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 29, 2012 17:29

Being alone is so much better than being with the wrong person.....Take it from someone who knows.YOu get to know and appreciate yourself.
It would be nice to find that special person but it certainly wouldn't be because i'm afraid to be alone.
There is so much in life to experience......sssso much:-)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 22, 2012 09:05

I am not afraid of being alone, not because I have experienced that kind of love, but I am happy with myself. I think the only time you are truly afraid of being alone is if you are not happy with some aspect of your life and you are compensating. I do believe in the kind of love that the woman on the train was speaking of, but I do not think you can experience that kind of love without loving yourself first.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 19, 2012 15:45

That's nice

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 15, 2012 11:33

I am not afraid to be alone. In fact, I worry I like being alone too much and wont be able to marry again and have someone around all the time. I am a Romantic at Heart, so do love to be wine and dined and romanced. I know when I fall in love again, I will want to be with that person more than alone. As you get older, you get less trusting.

I never had what the widow had. My ex husband was the complete opposite of loving & I spent 17 years very unhappy. I would never ever be with someone again, for the sake of not being alone or stay for the kid. We learn from past mistakes and I would love to find my soulmate. Someone that has my heart, body and soul. I believe it does exist for everyone, if we are brave enough to keep looking until we find it.

Susie

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2012 00:46

Quoting mahoganyangel:

I overheard this discussion on the train between two people last week, where two women were discussing being alone, dating, etc.

One woman said, "Me being a widow, I'm not so much afraid of being alone because I have my children and grandchildren. My husband's love was so deep for me and there was never a doubt in my mind how deep his love was. If his love was a ocean I could sail forever, If his love were money I would be the richest women in the world, If his love was life I would live forever...I am the luckiest person in the world to have been loved so much by one person yet sometimes the saddest person because I can never again tell him how much I love him & thank him for loving me..."
She went on to say, " ...the love I recieved from my late husband will be enough to carry me on throughout my life! I may seek companionship yes, but probably not another love like the one I once had..."

I dwelt on that woman's words for the remainder of my train ride. I'd like to know how many of you have experienced a love that will carry you through for the rest of your life and are now looking for companionship?

I think this woman is truly blessed. Too have so much love inside that continue to carry her through out her life is very rare.