#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Off topics > Schizoid-Affective makes it hard 4 sure Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Schizoid-Affective makes it hard 4 sure
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Jul 16, 2005 05:07

Since 1996 I have coped with this personality woe. I am not like those full blown schizophrenic; more like an "in" then "out" of touch type. With this affliction I find I can "fool" those about me almost all of the times. Only someone with a trained mind can pick up on the serious affliction I carry daily. If I could only write books. Oy Vey.

Available only
to logged in members

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jun 16, 2006 08:16

This a tough subject, I think the author RomanticLass does not know anything about schizophrenia or cares to. Skipping from one selfish thought to another i cant keep up. i understand your frustration, however YOU must have been an active participant. otherwise you would not be so angry.

People with troubled minds do not just go and seek help as you so angrily yelled. because they may possibly feel they will be referred to as "sick" and this also embarrasing to them did you think of that? I know you didn't because you are not trying to understand someone else's feelings, only your own.

Are you aware that people with schizophrenia are extremely intelligent much more so than an average person. Yes, i am even referring to the "bum" picking through the trash in the station. Don't think for a second they are "bums" They do that kind of behavior because they have a HIGHER intelligence, insight, and intuition than "most" of society.

Having worked with substance abusers, which is also a form of mental illness and became very good friends with a person who hid his schizophrenia so well it was not apparent to me. I fell for this guy he was so much fun, charming, witty, everyone liked him. It was a meeting i facilitated for the mentally ill. We became very close....THEN i realized as he was boarding up the bedroom at night, talking to the vents, to people who were not there, carrying a bat around, yelling at 3 am at the top of his lungs. i was never afraid of him, but only what would happen to him if the neighbors heard.

He was not sick in my opinion. and worth trying gently to help get to a TRUSTED doctor. it wasnt easy though because he KNEW what the kindly doctors would do and so did i. cast him aside as some freak unworthy of life among such normal people as they. HA

Anyway my friend is doing fine and i cant wait to see him again.

Life is funny. Sh@# happens. I understand your need to vent, but i dont feel it should have been here

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Dec 05, 2005 17:55

Great Romantic Lass...LMAO.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Nov 03, 2005 20:07

Don't feed the trolls (FAKES)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Oct 23, 2005 17:15

Warning to any man on this site! Just read this deranged pyscho's post here. Honey, I've never written you, talked to you, responded to any of your grade school posts until now. Id suggest counseling soon and checking something you have lodged side ways. BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER IS SERIOUS BUSINESS ,NO MAN SHOULD HAVE TO MEET ANYONE LIKE YOU, GET HELP SOON!!!

Edit my posting Add reply/comments Remove my posting

sweendogr
(Man,49, Shakopee, MN, US )
Posted 23-OCT-05

RomanticLass write:
Well keeping up with my reputation to always go out with a bang, I figured I would post a letter I wrote and originally did plan to post. I did not post it as I was told that I would either 1) Scare off potential bachelors (cough...Who cares) or 2) I would set myself up for attack by this notorious Troll: SWEENDOGR.
People (Newbies) should be aware that this man is one bud short of a six pack if you know what I mean.

So this letter I have posted with a disclosure, to protect myself and I post it while I hide behind the first amendment. Afterall MM does not take responsibility for his actions, so we should be able to speak our minds and stand up for ourselves.
This letter is for entertainment purposes only and in no way is any of its contents to be miscontrued as personal attacks, or a promise of future actions. It is not meant to defame, slander or libel anyone.

CONTENT:

SWEENDOGR NOTICE (POTENTIALLLY A SUBPEANA TO APPEAR)

DISCLOSURE STATEMENT:
(For entertainment purposes only, actually to vent on behalf of all women who
Have been harassed and had their time at MM destroyed because of Trolls, phonies, crude and perverts who are too cheap to go buy a play boy and would rather try to ?Sween? dle nude photos out of MM women, and ungentlemanly men who do not belong on MM.)

October 15, 2005

ATTN:
SWEENDOGR
a.k.a. What-The-Heck-Ever
(Subject, you may want to learn all the terms for this word, see LAW ENFORCEMENT INVESTIGATION pg. 2 par. 4, VOL. I)

FR:
Your Worst Nightmare
Lady Croft, Int. a.k.a. Ladies Who Kick B*tt and Take Names International, Inc.

Dear Stalker/Psycho? I mean Sir (yeah right!)?I mean TROLL,

I know you have multiple screen names and that you have been banned from here at least 5 times.

I do believe on MM you are referred to as a TROLL.

I have found men and women who have had over 50 aliases...so better get a pen and paper and start making up some new ones.
You do NOT have enough to fool (or elude) me.

I AM MILES AHEAD OF YOU!!!
I just have to ask, how does it feel to come in THAT FAR behind?

The games you have been playing with women are ridiculous. You are making it difficult for the classy, intelligent gentlemen on this site to make comfortable contact with the women here and vice versa.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO WINK...DO NOT EMAIL...DO NOT BOTHER!!!

If you think that you will ever be able to get through my fire wall, and attain my personal info. Perhaps, you think I am stupid enough to give it to you...YOU ARE SADLY MISTAKEN!

YOU on the other had should be concerned. LET ME TELL you this...that IF I so desired I possess the ability to find out anything about you that I want...I am more than capable of acquiring whatever information I deem necessary.

SO if you think you are going to be able to post my cell number on sites with one handed phone callers, or subject me to any of the other games that you have subjected women to.
You?re wrong.

Mess with me on this level is like messing with a group of starving badgers.

You have some serious issues. I will not allow you to make my time here at MM a poor experience. I WILL NOT GIVE YOU THAT MUCH POWER.

It is men like you that give the wonderful species called MALE a bad name! And how sad for you...boys play games...but you are so pathetic that you don't even have the support of your comrades! PATHETIC!

"Hey YOU! GET OFF MY CLOUD!" I am here to find my own piece of heaven (and happiness) so NO little devils allowed.

The women here all know about you...why they have tolerated you this long...is mind boggling to me?

YOU are ignorant! Dear god man don't you realize the power of the women's network...Let me tell you if the world's information network were to crash right now...the intelligence agency would hire women to keep the world informed, until they rebooted, and all systems were a go, once more. BOY do you under estimate us...

Many a men have learned to respect this factor among women...So the question is when are YOU... going to grow up?

Thankfully we have a wonderful network of professionals on the MM site that can give you what you are in need of: psychologist to prescribe your much needed meds for you're mental illness, investigators to find you (I will serve you personally) lawyers to rip you a new one, doctors to treat your wounds and prescribe the pain meds, you will most certainly be in need of? (Not that they would care to), and I am sure that they will volunteer their time to do this. (See who says everyone here is money hungry?) Poor Dog, the only thing we don?t have here is women to l i c k your wounds.

So if I were you I would tuck tail and run while you are still laughing...SO laugh no more....AND certainly NOT at my expense!

So?see you, got to go b-b-bye, don't let the door smack you on the *ss on the way out. You time here is done.

Consider this your OFFICIAL NOTICE:

If you wink at me?or initiate ANY type of contact with me, in an attempt to acquire personal info. I AM GOING TO BE ALL OVER YOU LIKE WHITE ON RICE.

Block by profile name, here let me spell it for you?you ignorant *#$&!, that?s
R-O-M-A-N-T-I-C-L-A-S-S, and don?t you forget it, then again please do.

So you have a nice day...searching for you next site of victims...your time here is limited.

There is not any room here at MM for the two of us. I am not going any where, unfortunately for you, I like it here.

SO...to sum it up...YOU HAVE BEEN SERVED! MOVE ALONG you bottom feeding, under medicated, no life, clinically diagnosed pervert!

As a matter, here you scurvy "Dog", let me pack for you. Here you sorry sack, I will give you the shirt right off my back, sweets. My favorite one actually...it's perfect for you. It says: "YOUR VILLAGE CALLED, THEY'RE MISSING THEIR IDIOT."
(Copyright credit to whomever.)

I have another you can have, you greedy *ss, but I am too much of a lady to tell you what it says here, I'll just throw it in there with the other one, mmmm k? And while you?re packing for your next house, here?s a little shopping advice, there?s a sale on door mats at your local five and dime.

Now in case I have not made my point clear, or you are too stupid to get my point (a possibility indeed), let me say it in the well understood international language called firearms.

Be informed that this girl sleeps with a 45 in the night stand, and a 9mm gloc by the front door. So don't be trying to deliver any exploding packages to my door. (Oh, yeah and a bomb receptacle by the front door.) IF?you should ever be lucky enough to get pass my DMV suppression and get my address that is.

See...completely ahead of you. It?s just no fun when the rabbit has the gun, is it, baby?

P.S. And to all the potential bachelors who have been scared off by this notice because you think I sound a bit brassy. I won?t attempt to be prissy and vulnerable and leave myself in a compromising position, to win a man over. I don?t take this stalking/weird behavior from anyone. I DOUBT YOU DO? IF YOU DID I WOULD WORRY ABOUT YOU?.

You need to be realistic and realize that women these days have be smart, clever, safe, and set her boundaries in order to protect themselves.

I will not pretend to be something I am not. This man has been due a FORUM POST for a while.

Think about it...I don't think the men on MM would appreciate some weird psycho chick trying to post their cell number down at the local welfare/unemployment office or family planning clinic...because somebody's kid needs a daddy.

So please allow us to speak our minds, stand up for ourselves, and set our boundaries without thinking we are any less sexy, sensitive, or classy.

As a matter of fact while I write this I am listening to some of my favorite romantic love songs...see who says I am not the perfect combination of brass, wits, and sexiness? I concur.

On the contrary, we are more attractive because we have a brain...Besides the last time I checked the site domain was MM d o t com, not low gene pool/IQ d o t com for professionals.

Ladies and Gentlemen, do we concur?

I bet I know the answer to this one?

Happy trails, Dog. We?ll miss your insults.

CC: FBI
MM
NEWBIE FORUM
Mean Marines with PTSD
Special Ops Soldier with a bad attitude
A Navy Seal ex-boyfriend who do anything to have me back!
&
?YOUR? local law enforcement agency and D.A. Office

Oh yeah, I also carbon copied this letter to your local judge that has wanted me in naughty positions for months?Something about a robe, garters, and a gavel, I don?t know? But I might be willing to explore and I got just the right stiletto heels for the job?

DON?T PHUNK WITH ME. YOU?LL BE DOOMED!

AND?

HERE IS YOUR BILL ( You owe me for my time that I have wasted on YOU)

BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: 9 HOURS AT $225 PER HOUR=$ 2,025.00

BAN SWEENDOGR CAMPAIGN: YOUR SCREWED NONE THE PROFESSIONAL HERE WORK FOR MAC AND CHEESE.

NEVER SEEING YOUR UGLY MUG AGAIN ON MM: PRICELESS

GETTING YOU BANNED WHILE MAINTAINING EVERY BIT OF LADY LIKE CLASS AND FEMINITY THAT I POSSESS: EVEN MORE PRICELESS!!!!!

( I take visa, matercard, amex, and paypal. But you most likely can?t even hold down a credit card account. Those late charges will kill you! Better get ...
Warning to any man on this site! Just read this deranged pyscho's post here. Honey, I've never written you, talked to you, responded to any of your grade school posts until now. Id suggest counseling soon and checking something you have lodged side ways. BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER IS SERIOUS BUSINESS ,NO MAN SHOULD HAVE TO MEET ANYONE LIKE YOU, GET HELP SOON!!!

Edit my posting Add reply/comments Remove my posting

sweendogr
(Man,49, Shakopee, MN, US )
Posted 23-OCT-05

RomanticLass write:
Well keeping up with my reputation to always go out with a bang, I figured I would post a letter I wrote and originally did plan to post. I did not post it as I was told that I would either 1) Scare off potential bachelors (cough...Who cares) or 2) I would set myself up for attack by this notorious Troll: SWEENDOGR.
People (Newbies) should be aware that this man is one bud short of a six pack if you know what I mean.

So this letter I have posted with a disclosure, to protect myself and I post it while I hide behind the first amendment. Afterall MM does not take responsibility for his actions, so we should be able to speak our minds and stand up for ourselves.
This letter is for entertainment purposes only and in no way is any of its contents to be miscontrued as personal attacks, or a promise of future actions. It is not meant to defame, slander or libel anyone.

CONTENT:

SWEENDOGR NOTICE (POTENTIALLLY A SUBPEANA TO APPEAR)

DISCLOSURE STATEMENT:
(For entertainment purposes only, actually to vent on behalf of all women who
Have been harassed and had their time at MM destroyed because of Trolls, phonies, crude and perverts who are too cheap to go buy a play boy and would rather try to ?Sween? dle nude photos out of MM women, and ungentlemanly men who do not belong on MM.)

October 15, 2005

ATTN:
SWEENDOGR
a.k.a. What-The-Heck-Ever
(Subject, you may want to learn all the terms for this word, see LAW ENFORCEMENT INVESTIGATION pg. 2 par. 4, VOL. I)

FR:
Your Worst Nightmare
Lady Croft, Int. a.k.a. Ladies Who Kick B*tt and Take Names International, Inc.

Dear Stalker/Psycho? I mean Sir (yeah right!)?I mean TROLL,

I know you have multiple screen names and that you have been banned from here at least 5 times.

I do believe on MM you are referred to as a TROLL.

I have found men and women who have had over 50 aliases...so better get a pen and paper and start making up some new ones.
You do NOT have enough to fool (or elude) me.

I AM MILES AHEAD OF YOU!!!
I just have to ask, how does it feel to come in THAT FAR behind?

The games you have been playing with women are ridiculous. You are making it difficult for the classy, intelligent gentlemen on this site to make comfortable contact with the women here and vice versa.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO WINK...DO NOT EMAIL...DO NOT BOTHER!!!

If you think that you will ever be able to get through my fire wall, and attain my personal info. Perhaps, you think I am stupid enough to give it to you...YOU ARE SADLY MISTAKEN!

YOU on the other had should be concerned. LET ME TELL you this...that IF I so desired I possess the ability to find out anything about you that I want...I am more than capable of acquiring whatever information I deem necessary.

SO if you think you are going to be able to post my cell number on sites with one handed phone callers, or subject me to any of the other games that you have subjected women to.
You?re wrong.

Mess with me on this level is like messing with a group of starving badgers.

You have some serious issues. I will not allow you to make my time here at MM a poor experience. I WILL NOT GIVE YOU THAT MUCH POWER.

It is men like you that give the wonderful species called MALE a bad name! And how sad for you...boys play games...but you are so pathetic that you don't even have the support of your comrades! PATHETIC!

"Hey YOU! GET OFF MY CLOUD!" I am here to find my own piece of heaven (and happiness) so NO little devils allowed.

The women here all know about you...why they have tolerated you this long...is mind boggling to me?

YOU are ignorant! Dear god man don't you realize the power of the women's network...Let me tell you if the world's information network were to crash right now...the intelligence agency would hire women to keep the world informed, until they rebooted, and all systems were a go, once more. BOY do you under estimate us...

Many a men have learned to respect this factor among women...So the question is when are YOU... going to grow up?

Thankfully we have a wonderful network of professionals on the MM site that can give you what you are in need of: psychologist to prescribe your much needed meds for you're mental illness, investigators to find you (I will serve you personally) lawyers to rip you a new one, doctors to treat your wounds and prescribe the pain meds, you will most certainly be in need of? (Not that they would care to), and I am sure that they will volunteer their time to do this. (See who says everyone here is money hungry?) Poor Dog, the only thing we don?t have here is women to l i c k your wounds.

So if I were you I would tuck tail and run while you are still laughing...SO laugh no more....AND certainly NOT at my expense!

So?see you, got to go b-b-bye, don't let the door smack you on the *ss on the way out. You time here is done.

Consider this your OFFICIAL NOTICE:

If you wink at me?or initiate ANY type of contact with me, in an attempt to acquire personal info. I AM GOING TO BE ALL OVER YOU LIKE WHITE ON RICE.

Block by profile name, here let me spell it for you?you ignorant *#$&!, that?s
R-O-M-A-N-T-I-C-L-A-S-S, and don?t you forget it, then again please do.

So you have a nice day...searching for you next site of victims...your time here is limited.

There is not any room here at MM for the two of us. I am not going any where, unfortunately for you, I like it here.

SO...to sum it up...YOU HAVE BEEN SERVED! MOVE ALONG you bottom feeding, under medicated, no life, clinically diagnosed pervert!

As a matter, here you scurvy "Dog", let me pack for you. Here you sorry sack, I will give you the shirt right off my back, sweets. My favorite one actually...it's perfect for you. It says: "YOUR VILLAGE CALLED, THEY'RE MISSING THEIR IDIOT."
(Copyright credit to whomever.)

I have another you can have, you greedy *ss, but I am too much of a lady to tell you what it says here, I'll just throw it in there with the other one, mmmm k? And while you?re packing for your next house, here?s a little shopping advice, there?s a sale on door mats at your local five and dime.

Now in case I have not made my point clear, or you are too stupid to get my point (a possibility indeed), let me say it in the well understood international language called firearms.

Be informed that this girl sleeps with a 45 in the night stand, and a 9mm gloc by the front door. So don't be trying to deliver any exploding packages to my door. (Oh, yeah and a bomb receptacle by the front door.) IF?you should ever be lucky enough to get pass my DMV suppression and get my address that is.

See...completely ahead of you. It?s just no fun when the rabbit has the gun, is it, baby?

P.S. And to all the potential bachelors who have been scared off by this notice because you think I sound a bit brassy. I won?t attempt to be prissy and vulnerable and leave myself in a compromising position, to win a man over. I don?t take this stalking/weird behavior from anyone. I DOUBT YOU DO? IF YOU DID I WOULD WORRY ABOUT YOU?.

You need to be realistic and realize that women these days have be smart, clever, safe, and set her boundaries in order to protect themselves.

I will not pretend to be something I am not. This man has been due a FORUM POST for a while.

Think about it...I don't think the men on MM would appreciate some weird psycho chick trying to post their cell number down at the local welfare/unemployment office or family planning clinic...because somebody's kid needs a daddy.

So please allow us to speak our minds, stand up for ourselves, and set our boundaries without thinking we are any less sexy, sensitive, or classy.

As a matter of fact while I write this I am listening to some of my favorite romantic love songs...see who says I am not the perfect combination of brass, wits, and sexiness? I concur.

On the contrary, we are more attractive because we have a brain...Besides the last time I checked the site domain was MM d o t com, not low gene pool/IQ d o t com for professionals.

Ladies and Gentlemen, do we concur?

I bet I know the answer to this one?

Happy trails, Dog. We?ll miss your insults.

CC: FBI
MM
NEWBIE FORUM
Mean Marines with PTSD
Special Ops Soldier with a bad attitude
A Navy Seal ex-boyfriend who do anything to have me back!
&
?YOUR? local law enforcement agency and D.A. Office

Oh yeah, I also carbon copied this letter to your local judge that has wanted me in naughty positions for months?Something about a robe, garters, and a gavel, I don?t know? But I might be willing to explore and I got just the right stiletto heels for the job?

DON?T PHUNK WITH ME. YOU?LL BE DOOMED!

AND?

HERE IS YOUR BILL ( You owe me for my time that I have wasted on YOU)

BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: 9 HOURS AT $225 PER HOUR=$ 2,025.00

BAN SWEENDOGR CAMPAIGN: YOUR SCREWED NONE THE PROFESSIONAL HERE WORK FOR MAC AND CHEESE.

NEVER SEEING YOUR UGLY MUG AGAIN ON MM: PRICELESS

GETTING YOU BANNED WHILE MAINTAINING EVERY BIT OF LADY LIKE CLASS AND FEMINITY THAT I POSSESS: EVEN MORE PRICELESS!!!!!

( I take visa, matercard, amex, and paypal. But you most likely can?t even hold down a credit card account. Those late charges will kill you! Better get ...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Oct 22, 2005 19:02

Schizoaffective Disorder is not a Personality Disorder. It is a mental disorder that is charaterized by thought disorder--such as paranoia or delusions that are present only during a mood disordered episode such as depression or bipolar-mania.
Personality Disorders are part of your character, not something that is wrong in the brain's biochemistry (such as Schizoaffective DO)
It is easily treated by medication and psychotherapy. You don't have to suffer!
~A PhD.
Schizoaffective Disorder is not a Personality Disorder. It is a mental disorder that is charaterized by thought disorder--such as paranoia or delusions that are present only during a mood disordered episode such as depression or bipolar-mania.
Personality Disorders are part of your character, not something that is wrong in the brain's biochemistry (such as Schizoaffective DO)
It is easily treated by medication and psychotherapy. You don't have to suffer!
~A PhD.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Oct 09, 2005 10:01

now that is funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Oct 08, 2005 21:52

I have worked with schizophrenics in psychiatric settings for several years. Most are truely misunderstood by the general public and the sensationalism of the illness in the media. Their thinking style is distorted with sometimes bizarre and unusual delusions of persecution or grandeur. It seems odd that a majority of their psychotic breaks are either paranoid ...ie., fearful of goverment entities ...ie., being watched., or feeling others can tell what they are thinking in their minds...ideas of reference are common where everyday occurrences are arranged to them personally in their distortions...delusions of grandeur in the shape of religious figures are very common too.
Theories are many as to the origin of the disorder but still the evidence is not totally out yet , but a strong link in hereditary factors in monozygotic, and dizygotic studies of identical and other twin studies has strong evidence. Most seem to go under the change with their first psychotic breaks with reality at late teens and early twenties. Leaving the safe world of the protection of family members and relying on social skills they truely lack
creates the beginning of their creating a safety net through a detachment with reality to protect from social interaction. A tel- tale sign is their inability to react appropriately in social interactions with total incongreuency in their responses..i.e, laughing when hearing a person explain something painful or sad...which further isolates the schizophrenic due to public disbelief and odd mannerisms. Although with proper medication maintenance and new social skills training most can lead pretty adjusted lives. For still.. some unknown reason their medication loses it's effectiveness over periods of time requiring readjustments to try to prevent re-hospitalizations.

It is when the disorder goes unchecked for long periods of times that the most dangerous can happen..command hallucinations..i.e, "The Son Of Sam"...whereby not only are they taunted by visual and auditory hallucinations, but begin a twisted, usually manic based delusional scheme that draws them to act on those beliefs. That is why a person with this disorder needs proper maintenance and lots of support to catch the red flags.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Oct 08, 2005 11:42

Actually, this condition (as with many others) can be either misdiagnoised or ignored for years before it is found out. My sister had the condition as a child but nobody found out until she was about 29 (others thought she was just trying to get attention).

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Aug 31, 2005 17:53

Hi Guys, What do you know about "Reactive Schizophrenia?" I've heard that it is brought on by childhood trama, what are characteristics?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Aug 19, 2005 18:02

:/

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Aug 09, 2005 00:54

Here is a interesting study, just in the news.

CHICAGO (AP) - A study of a famine in China more than 40 years ago found that children born to severely malnourished women are more likely to develop schizophrenia.

The research bolsters the evidence that environmental factors can trigger the devastating mental illness.

Compared with children born before or after the 1959-61 famine, those born during the disaster faced double the risk of becoming schizophrenic later on.

The results are nearly identical to a previous study of a famine in Holland resulting from a Nazi food blockade toward the end of World War II.

Since the two populations are ethnically and culturally distinct, the processes involved may apply in all populations undergoing famine,'' the authors said.

Lead author Dr. David St. Clair of the University of Aberdeen, Scotland, conducted the study with researchers from China. Their findings appear in Wednesday's Journal of the American Medical Association.

The study supports the theory that schizophrenia is caused by a genetic predisposition influenced by environmental triggers that disturb the developing fetal brain - in this case, nutritional deficiencies.

And that raises the possibility that preventing starvation and malnutrition could head off some cases, said Richard Neugebauer, a schizophrenia researcher at the New York State Psychiatric Institute who was not involved in the study.

Neugebauer said in an accompanying editorial that the study's similarity to the earlier Dutch findings is remarkable given the differences in the two populations.

Still, Neugebauer said, the new research leaves unanswered exactly how nutritional deficiencies disturb fetal brain development to the point of increasing the risk of schizophrenia.

It also does not resolve whether deficiencies in all foods or in a single nutrient increase the risk. That is

the most pressing question from a public health and interventionist perspective,'' Neugebauer wrote.

The answer would determine whether the findings apply globally or just to developing countries where overall malnutrition is common, he said.

Schizophrenia is characterized by delusional thinking and difficulty in dealing with others. It affects about 1 percent of the world population. Symptoms usually appear during the teens or early adulthood.

Schizophrenia runs in families, and various infections - including measles, flu and herpes - are among environmental factors that some scientists believe may increase the risk when they affect pregnant women.

The famine study focused on the Wuhu region of Anhui province in eastern China, one of the hardest-hit areas. The researchers examined data on births and deaths before, during and after the famine and on psychiatric records from 1971 to 2001.

In 1960, in the midst of the famine, there were 13,748 children born in the region; 192 of them developed schizophrenia. That compared with 483 schizophrenics out of 59,088 births in 1956 and 695 out of 83,536 births in 1965.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jul 17, 2005 10:31

Go ahead and write us a book. We like to learn.