I rarely check in here to the Forums, but something caught my eye about this one, and then I saw my old friend Gently had posted, so I had to read it.
Like more than one of you here, I do not fully understand what Gently is trying to say. Hopefully, she'll come back and explain her meaning. This much I can tell you though, Gentle is a very bright woman who thinks much, much faster than she can type. So, somewhere between her fingers flying, a few thoughts got lost. LOL
I'm reading here so many sad tales of "scamming," I wish I could do something about it. Obviously, I can't.
Just allow me to add that when I first came on MM, I received tons of winks and emails. 90 percent were from scammers. The other 10 percent were from very nice men who just hadn't bothered to read my location. Men who wanted a woman within 20 or 50 miles of their own location--and I was located 2000 miles away from them!
Scammers I dealt with through the necessary and always suberb help of "Counselor," Brittany. Nice guys who just didn't have any brains. I dealt with them through emails--always through MM, by the way, never my personal email--as courteously and kindly as I could.
After about 3 months, I concluded that what the then oldtimers were saying was right. Don't bother answering winks because they're either scammers or fools. Only respond to emails--and only then when you've checked a profile with a fine-tooth comb and find nothing, absolutely nothing, that raises any red flags. Beyond that, go for the blogs, where I was already having a lot of fun.
So that's what I use MM for now. As a non-paying member; doesn't cost me a dime. And through the blogs I've made a couple of good cyber friends.
At this point I don't think I would ever date anyone I met on the web who wasn't recommended to me by someone I knew in reality. Far too risky.
Whatever everyone chooses to do, be safe. Never give out personal information such as personal email addresses, last names, or precise habitat locations, or the name of the business you work for.
Meet at a safe venue, well-lit, a place you can quickly escape from into the safety of your own vehicle. And, should you find it necessary to make that escape, remember to lock the vehicle doors the very second you get back into your vehicle.
Be safe, all. And, even though you don't find the love of your life on here, have all the fun that's available to have.
I know... its like that real estate maxim "buyers are liars" meaning we tell the real estate agent we want 'x' and most always end up buying 'y'.
Our profiles say we want 'x' but we most always end up falling for 'y'.
I know I've had emails that just flowed, phone calls that lasted for hours just to show up for that coffee date full of anticipation and watch that person walk across the parking lot and think "nope, never gonna happen!"
Sounds to me like thats what happened on the trip downunder.
On those exceptionally rare occasions where I will even entertain the possibility of meeting someone outside my area, I've gotten to the point where I prefer to skype before either of us get on a plane... I find it just saves sooo much time, money and effort!
But the good thing is, you had fun and turned it into a trip you enjoyed!
I flew all the way to Australia, to meet a woman I talked to for two months, everything was set, and when I showed up, she disappeared, after a week she gave me the my mom is sick excuse, thank god that wasn't the only reason I wanted to go to AU. The Great Barrier Reef is awesome!!!
Biggest lie..would have to be the guy who for starters failed to mentions his photos were over ten yrs old. Met and quickly realized that all he wanted was to go to a hotel room coke it up and have sex. Need I say I left in a BIG hurry!! Was not happening in any way shape or form
I met a man online and his body type was 'average'. When we met at the restaurant, literally 6 of me could fit into his shirt. I tried not to be shallow about it and I felt very misled and awkward. Maybe 10 of me could have fit in that shirt.
The worse lie was a man I met for dinner, we had a great time and he invited me to The Oaks with him (Day before Kentucky Derby - huge event). I accepted, went out and bought a new outfit, did all the girl things that girls are supposed to do and he called and canceled on me at the last minute. Only to find out that he was actually married and his wife was going to be in town after-all.
Oh, allow me! I went on a date with a man for coffee, who neglected to mention that while he held multiple degrees, and career description was indeed true, he was NOW clad I like to see it? That was not nice.ssified as mentally disabled, career gone, living in one room subsidized housing. And, oh...woul