#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Message board > I believe, SOCRATES, FAMOUS CONCLUSION was wrong !! Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
I believe, SOCRATES, FAMOUS CONCLUSION was wrong !!
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 05, 2014 12:55

Socrates is one of the great Thinkers and Philosophers of all time.
    He was also the architects of what we now call the modern University System.
    In his time Socrates would often be seen walking with the young people of his time teaching them about the things that he knew.
    Because Socrates believed that people would do the right thing if they knew what the right thing to do was.
    I believe that in this conclusion Socrates was wrong. I believe he overlooked two very important things, GREED AND LARCENY.
    I believe that the wiser people become, the more likely it is that they will believe that they can get away with the evil that they do.
    We have only to look at the condition of the WORLD TODAY ! 

TRUE or FALSE ? 

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Apr 17, 2014 02:30

I've never heard of Socrates. Should I have?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Apr 11, 2014 18:33

Quoting askmrknowitall:

Quoting BFDeal:

Neither.  People will do the wrong thing when their level of need exceeds their moral border, and otherwise won't.  For example, if you are hungry enough, you will steal.  It all just depends on how high that moral border is, and how strong the need.

Your point is well stated. But your conclusion contradicts the facts. No it doesn't depend on your moral border, because one can control that border. For example: people of means don't steal because they are hungry they steal because they are greedy. The people involved in the predatory lending to poor people, which allowed them to illegally steal other peoples property, did not do so because they needed a place to live, they were all wealthy . They did it because they were smart ,and believed they could get away with it. And then there is the sociopath, a person without a moral border.

>> They did it because they were smart, and believed they could get away with it  ...

That describes little need, high moral border.  Thats why you have to consider both.  You describe people whose moral border is high.  It doesn't take much for them to get below it and do immoral things. 

In contrast, people with a low moral border won't steal until they are VERY hungry.  It would take a lot of need to get below that moral border.

That's why you need to consider both the level of need, AND where their border of morality resides.  You can't go by just whether or not they have been moral. 

Then there is the "opportunity" factor.  For example, when I was a teenager, I dated a woman for 5 years and never once cheated.  When others applauded my morality, it bothered me.  I wasn't moral, I just sucked at being a player.  It wasn't because I never tried.  It was because I never succeeded.

BFD

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Apr 11, 2014 12:00

Quoting BFDeal:

Neither.  People will do the wrong thing when their level of need exceeds their moral border, and otherwise won't.  For example, if you are hungry enough, you will steal.  It all just depends on how high that moral border is, and how strong the need.

Your point is well stated. But your conclusion contradicts the facts. No it doesn't depend on your moral border, because one can control that border. For example: people of means don't steal because they are hungry they steal because they are greedy. The people involved in the predatory lending to poor people, which allowed them to illegally steal other peoples property, did not do so because they needed a place to live, they were all wealthy . They did it because they were smart ,and believed they could get away with it. And then there is the sociopath, a person without a moral border.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Apr 09, 2014 22:10