#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Cultures and Education > Is Esperanto the language of the future? Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Is Esperanto the language of the future?
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Dec 15, 2009 17:48

L.L. Zamenhof who wrote under the pseudonym Doktoro Esperanto (Doctor Hopeful), was the creator of the Esperanto language.
I am wondering which is the value of this work? Creating a new language. In a very personal point of view english is an easy language to learn and most of the science, world history, and culture information is in English. Which will be the cost to translate all this information to this new language? With humbleness I dare to say that there is A LOT OF INFORMATION now and invest time and money into translate it into a new language (when English is so easy to learn) means an effort with no value added.
Eventhough when I am not a native speaker English allows me to connect a lot of people worldwide.
The project sounds very romantic when he was trying to make a more egalitarian world.
I was quite surprised to read this:
"Zamenhof would say [widespread use of English is] the right result with the wrong language, and therefore it's not well done. It's going to permanently classify most of the world as second-class citizens."

Why speaking english will classify most of the world as a second-class citizens? For me is not the language itself is the use of the words and the information shared with the language. Eventhough I am aware that the emotional content of the words of our native languages is so strong that keep us attached to it. I am also aware that learning a new language is learning a new life style each language attach a different feeling and behaviour.

Any comments?

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Jun 05, 2010 05:08

It's a fabricated language, artificially assembled in a laboratory with the purpose (yet still to be demonstarted) to yield a language allegedly easy to learn.

An utterly pointless effort, because a language doesn't need to be easy, but to be poetic. That's what a language is for.

Following the same logic, then, we could build an ideal partner out of a plastic doll - but it just isn't the same.

And if, at any rate, we would have been in need of a shared language upon which we could build some communality of prefixes or suffixes, then we have such language already - the language of the Roman empire, of the masses of Mozart, of the books of Spinoza: Ancient Latin.

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share