#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Cultures and Education > Would you relocate to EUROPE (or anywhere outside the USA/Canada) and if so, where would you like to live? Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Would you relocate to EUROPE (or anywhere outside the USA/Canada) and if so, where would you like to live?
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 23, 2005 17:48

Minerva415 write:
. There are so many interesting places to live: the East Coast - maybe Wash DC? New York - Boston? Even Florida although I'm not sure how I would handle the extreme heat and humidity. Then there's Chicago -..so darn far away from Europe! I have that to consider too - would like to be able to fly back to Europe fairly easily.... not spend endless hours on planes and in airports.

you are so right ..all the points u mentioned have been my dilemma too..I think as we get older travelling does take its toll..I really hate long flights..and jet lag..hence i need to spend at least a month at each place if i need to travel..
Weather is important..love theWest coast, Hawaii..but it is so far from everywhere..just had dinner with a Hawaiian friend tonight and we were lamenting that too..I love cities..so it would be Tokyo, London SF, NY..maybe Madrid, Paris..sometimes..or by the time I am ready to put my feet up ..I might just stay put somwhere and watch it all on TV..lol and be the arm chair traveller..

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 23, 2005 17:37

Sharp,
The Era of Tiananmen is long gone..gone are all the blue dull Mao suits..Shanghai and Beijing make NY seem like smallsville..the Chinese can not get enough of the material life.Shanghai is now a threat to HK in importance as a biz centre and Singapore being much further away is more a hi-tech service center.. We have over 25,000 families located all over in China, since most of us have the added advantage of being bi-lingual. Several of my Singapore friends head foreign corporations there..from advertising to car manufacturing and legal expertise..so for the time being Singapore is good value for the Chinese..a sort of bridging facility to help the Chinese assimilate to the ways of the west since we have succeeded at it longer and has a unique blend of the best of both worlds..in decipline and technology.
The Americans are more welcome than the Brits because of the negative experiences of the Opium war and Boxer revolution historically, so the Chinese are not as warm to the Brits..Anything to do with creative and design skills..which could not be copied nor reproduce as fakes, but important to the growth of the economy is negotiable and trade-able..China's entry to WTO hopefully will give some confidence to the western investor that the Chinese are keen to be a big fair player..so it is very exciting times as far as talent pool and market potential is concerned..but one need to invest heavily in their trust because the Chinese have traditionally kept business in the family and clans and would not trust any outsider..so building that trust requires patience and lots of inter-relational skills..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 23, 2005 10:36

So Bonnie is the era of Tynnamen Square under the Mao government over? I had heard that more and more chineese had TV's and access to the outside world. I wasn't certain. When Hong Kong was first handed over their was fear that the Chineese government would ruin everything.
Instead Singapore has been built to be an economic hub to compete at the level equal to Hong Kong or moreso than Hong Kong.
Is this true?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 22, 2005 13:53

Got back from Beijing and shanghai last month and heading there soon.. very busy cities..and takes getting use to even for an overseas chinese like me..distribution of wealth is uneven but getting there when free enterprise allows the individual to make their own income and wealth creation opportunities are there..
a talent pool of 1.2 bn is beyond imagination. A friend told me that when they invited the NY Philamonic staff to explore and hunt for talents there, they could not believe the response they got, 2000 candidates line the streets every day for audition , it was overwhelming..and as a consumer market , it is going to be voracious , the chinese as a noveau riche class will be ready to devour anything foreign..so all u need is to sell them this imagined lifestyle ..
The west should not fear them, but work with them to get the best out of them..politics is not important to the Chinese but wealth creation is..they still like to provide for the extended family and create wealth for dynastic line..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 22, 2005 13:04

I wonder where I would want to relocate if I was going to move to the USA. This is assuming I move there for MYSELF and not because I've met someone. There are so many interesting places to live: the East Coast - maybe Wash DC? New York - Boston? Even Florida although I'm not sure how I would handle the extreme heat and humidity. Then there's Chicago - never been there but would love to go. I don't think I want to go somewhere where the winters are very long and very cold! I wouldn't mind at all living near the ocean or a lake or some body of water anyway! Somewhere where there would be easy access to a boat. California sounds great (was there once in 1988) but so darn far away from Europe! I have that to consider too - would like to be able to fly back to Europe fairly easily.... not spend endless hours on planes and in airports.
Sharp: if you ever want to come to Luxembourg, let me know!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 09:27

Bonnie88 write:
Sharp, YOu are right weather is a good reason for escape to another country.
I try to escape grey British winters here..but because the kids hae longer summer holidays we always land up being away then and miss out on UK at its best...
Escape to another place is also a romantic opportunity cos u never know who you might meet along the way..I imagine myself as a Lady samurai in the old days who venture form town to town to stay a little while , get to know the people and solve a little of their problems..and move on..the predecessor to modern global gypsy life..

Calgary has a nice Summer once in every 5 yrs. I escape to the Okanogan in British Columbia for hot summers, have a place on the lake. So I miss the worst of Calgary. Who knows internet dating isn't working, maybe a tropical residence in Winter I'll get lucky & meet someone on a morning beach stroll. :-) Was in Puerto Vallarta and some fellow tried picking me up, unfortunately I was with my two teens...so I politely declined breakfast.:-)
It sounds like you have a very interesting job. Heading to China next from what I picked up on another post. China would be very interesting. I think as they are entering he Global economy so fast that it must be having a major change in life there for even the average person. I wonder if that is true, or if the peasants still remain impoverished while only upper classes benefit. What do you think?
A few years ago I read a book called "Legends of a Chineese Mozaic" written by Betty Bao Lord. She was married to the U.S. Ambassador of China under the Reagan Administration. When she was a toddler her father was the Chineese Ambassador for the U.S. and was able to move his family with him, accept for a 10 mos. old baby girl, because she was not old enough to pack her own bag.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 20, 2005 23:58

Sharp, YOu are right weather is a good reason for escape to another country.
I try to escape grey British winters here..but because the kids hae longer summer holidays we always land up being away then and miss out on UK at its best...
Escape to another place is also a romantic opportunity cos u never know who you might meet along the way..I imagine myself as a Lady samurai in the old days who venture form town to town to stay a little while , get to know the people and solve a little of their problems..and move on..the predecessor to modern global gypsy life..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 20, 2005 22:00

Europe has numerous countries I want to experience visiting one country at a time. Still in that exploration mode, at the moment I would not want to relocate to any one particular location. Of course if I met a true love I might be persuaded, but not on my own.
I do consider setting up another residence outside of Canada. One that would be located in a more tropical climate: eg Costa Rica, Cabos San Lucas (Mexico), somewhere in the Caribbean, FL...and thanks to wellab possibly CA. I would not need to meet a significant other to do this. It would serve as a wonderful escape from Canada's cold winters.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 20, 2005 09:43

Two good reasons Orion.
Well for me it would have to be a man!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 16, 2005 14:53

The right reasons = a woman I loved.

Correction, the right reasons = a woman I loved and loved me in return!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 15, 2005 16:12

Very interesting reactions from everyone! And actually I'm surprised to see how many people WILL actually relocate.
Girlie I agree. Life IS too short and love is worth the risk.
My ideal living situation would be to have homes in Greece, the US and Luxembourg and split my time equally among the three. The difficult thing is the job, obviously! Otherwise, setting up home in these three places is very feasible. Would be nice if my (future) better half liked this arrangement too!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, May 12, 2005 21:33

Interesting question. --- I'd like to live in suburbs of Rome ,until I get bored, I'll move to Corfu in Greece, where Henry Miller once lived and nourished his souls.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, May 03, 2005 23:38

DScoular,
WE have only one life, live it whichever you wish but never in regret.
I chose love and adventure and was not short-changed..the adventure carries on...the other side of the mountain is always a curiosity for me ..and so I chose to keep climbing mountains and crossing oceans..I have done it for love, and continue to do it for myself as well..and have never regretted this adventure ..nothing venture nothing gain..has always been my motto..and the vast memories I have collected in my adventure makes it all worthwhile, I refuse to go to my diary and write 'ditto ditto' everyday...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, May 03, 2005 16:49

Bonnie, you have lead what seems to be one exciting multicultural life. In some ways I am jealous of that life. All that being said and getting back to the topic... My chosen profession prevents me from extreme amounts of travel outside the United States. If I were to find a soulmate who lived in Europe or any other country and it was my decision to move, I would have to abandon my career and establish a new career in another field.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, May 03, 2005 03:00

continue:
pianist and harpsichordist..her prolific works are on the website ..if you want to listen to her CDS drop me a line..
Go for it, travel the world while you are still young..the danger is you may be so smitten by it , you could never go home again..you get constant itchy feet to pack and go..and you will not know where to retire..and if you marry one of them, your kids will be in danger of becoming expat brats..they travel at a young age, land up in boarding schools and think that everyone is like them jetting around the world..and like mine they are quite rootless and don't really know where home is really..
but the upside is you get a directory of friends from all continents. you learn to appreciate all cultures and people and know them a t a much more intimate level when you learn their language and live in their country for a long spell..the world is your oyster, be the pearl in it, all it needs is a little grit!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, May 03, 2005 02:21

considered it, and came close twice in the past (to Germany). Am considering it in the near future too. Would like to try Asia - Korea or Japan. I would consider relocating for the right mate, but would do it on my own as well.
I m not a paying member so can't mail you but I am one of the many expats who work all over the world these days, and there is a huge community of us whose paths constantly cross , hence our network straddle several countries..and the world is that much smaller when you work and live like that...when you realise you take more plane rides than bus rides and see more hotel rooms than your own room..

I am a lawyer..and so was my late husband..our specialty was mainly cutting edge legal deals for multinationals..aircraft leasing, securitisation of mortgages, project financing for Multi-corps in all industries..so it entails working in all the financial centers..his law firm which I now do some work as a consultant, have offices in several major financial cities in the world.so we work and live in several of these cities, usually in 3 -6 year cycles...tho I claim to retire, I continue to be asked to work on one off projects mainly because of my language skills and knowledge of EU and Asian markets..currently involved in a project that will take me all over from Europe to China and possibly US major cities..but this time it is more cultural ..and involves Olympics in China.. leaving next week for Bulgaria where a group of us, mainly lawyers, impresarios and musicians are trying to bring a group of the most talented and beautiful all-girl orchestra to Asia..some of the most talented bankers/legal practitioners that I know also have multi talented skills,a lot are patrons of arts and culture..hence London is one of the most attractive centers for them.The girlfriend of mine (we were law school chums) who asked me to help in this huge project is herself an international impressario/lawyer/composer /concert...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 02, 2005 22:15

Hi Six, welcome back. It's good to see you posting again. You were missed!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 02, 2005 00:26

Having lived and worked in so many countries and continents ..I am already making plans to have 3 homes in three continents..I m looking to US as the 3rd ..but can't decide west or east coast..so that I will spend time in all three at different times of the year..once a global nomad like so many of my friends in the expat community , everywhere is home as long as you have real friends and I could never be happy in any place for too long..I work in a sort of 6 year cycle..and travel a lot in a year dividing time between all 3 continents..waiting to explore S. America and Africa...looking for LAT companion for just that very reason...lol

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 21:15

Oh yes of course. London would be included - therefore probably an easier choice like you said because of the language.
Yes, your examples make sense.
Also, there are many Americans/Canadians who have lived in Europe and liked it a lot so I guess they would be willing to move back.
It's just that it is a bit of a culture shock coming here if you've never left the US. It's fascinating but also sooo different. And this is also valid the other way around.
I understand that older people would not want to relocate. Makes sense.
I consider myself very lucky to have a foot in both continents - I love Europe and I love America too and know and understand both cultures (well, actually Europe consists of many many different cultures). Both America and Europe are very different but both have so much to offer.
So that's why I am wondering who would be willing to take that step and why (most probably it would be for romantic reasons or else business) and which country they think they would like to live in and why.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 14:43

Min,
Would you consider Europe to include London or must it be across the channel where language is going to be a barrier for most Americans... there are definitely loads of Americans here in London, which is an easy relocation..so UK is going to be an easy choice..
How many miles u reckon the average Americans would go for love? Apparently there was a survey amongst Americans about the distance they would be prepared to find love, marry and relocate..it is pegged very much to the education level ..if you leave education at high school , you obviously marry your teen sweet heart in the same town..but if you go on to college in another state , you will most likely find your spouse from another state..and if you start working in another state or even country, chances are you would relocate further afield..quite obvious is it not? I don't think people after middle aged are that prepared to relocate for love since they are too conditioned to their comfort zone..though recently there have been reports that the baby boomers are reliving their leftover Hippie free life again..so never know ..they may wander of to Nepal of India to find their lost Xanadu...lol