Favorite Films Message Board

• View author's info Photo Verified Author posted on Apr 29, 2005 00:44

As a cinephile and b/c of Bonnie's wonderful suggestion, I'm posting a question to the forum:

Top films?

I'll try to keep my list under 20, but it's so hard!!!

And the winners are:

1. City of God
    2. Once Were Warriors
    3. Garden State
    4. Amelie
    5. Notorious
    6. Interview with a Vampire
    7. West Side Story
    8. The Godfather (only the first one)
    9. The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    10. Happiness
    11. The English Patient
    12. Shakespeare in Love
    13. Ghost World
    14. Vertigo

To be continued....
  • 13Comments

• View author's info posted on May 04, 2005 16:16

EDTARBOOSH mentioned several of the movies I liked but he didn't mention one, it was

REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE

with Marlon Brando and Elizabeth taylor.
  • View author's info posted on May 04, 2005 06:10

They just don't make the classics that, in my opinoin, don't compare to today's movies. Sound of Music is a classic in every sense of the word..I love that little Gretel. Gone withe the Wind is outstanding, of course. Casablanca was so romantic that I don't know any romance movie that can even come close. Maybe, Bed of Roses as it is a simple sweet romantic movie I will always remember.
    Not many "liked" Passion of Christ but the feeling it gave me afterward made any problem I had seem petty after what I know Christ had to go through. It was brutually violent but since I believe in the bible 100%, it was a real emotional movie for me.
    Loved the Wizard of Oz as well. I have watched it so many times I can practically say all the lines. Whoever said there was a very real life message in that movie was absolutely correct.
    I still love watching old time black and white movies like The Apartment or any Doris Day movie.
    Comedies are so stress relieving to me. Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers were so funny. I love Ben Stiller so any movie he is in I love. Weekend at Bernie's was funny. Chevy Chase is a riot and of course Steve Martin. I love movies that make you laugh so hard you can forget everything else.
  • View author's info posted on May 04, 2005 01:50

uglyrockling write:
    Just my two cents, I have a lot of favorite movies, but Butterfly probably knew I was gonna suggest this one after I raved over it last week. However, ladies (and, guys, whatthe heck), check out:

Love Actually

i love that movie especially when hugh grant get caught dancing by his secretary. Have it on DVD

• View author's info posted on May 03, 2005 17:03

Ok I have a few favs so bear with me

1. American President
    2. Wizard of Oz
    3. Pulp Fiction
    4. Empire Records
    5. original Amityville Horror
  • View author's info posted on May 03, 2005 17:00

I often wonder how I should phrase this to people I barely know. While I agree that the Wizard of Oz is a great movie... having spent a lot of my childhood growing up in Kansas I must say "I HATE THAT MOVIE!" This comes from the fact that the first thing out of everyone's mouth when they first find out you grew up in KS is "How's Dorothy and Toto?"
  • View author's info posted on May 03, 2005 10:07

Lots and lots of good films out there, but if I had to pack an alltime favorite, it would have to be "The Wizard of Oz".
    Whether for sheer imagination, the sets, the characters, or even the story line of a young girl looking for something better somewhere else, it was pure magic to a young boy!
    Who could ever forget the "flying monkeys" when they snatched Toto and Dorothy and took them to the evil witch's castle!
    Year after year, I eagerly anticipated it being rebroadcast.
  • View author's info posted on May 02, 2005 08:36

Just my two cents, I have a lot of favorite movies, but Butterfly probably knew I was gonna suggest this one after I raved over it last week. However, ladies (and, guys, whatthe heck), check out:

Love Actually
  • View author's info Photo Verified posted on May 01, 2005 21:23

Ds
    I agree I love old movies the best! There are some good new movies but just don't have that majic and lost the mystery and glamour.

Some of my Favs, in no particiular order:
    The Great Race (Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon are hysterical)
    Blazing Saddles (LMAO)
    Gone with the Wind
    Casablanca
    All About Eve

When Harry met Sally (who can forget that lunch scene!)
    Singing in The Rain (one of the best muscials ever)
    The Best Years of Our Lives (very deep for after the war)

American in Paris
    Titanic
    Imitation of Life (tearjerker extrodonaire!)

Vertigo
    Rear Window

Some Like it Hot
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
    How to Marry a Millionaire (got to love Marilyn in these 3 of her best)
    The Ten Commandments (got to see, Moses, Moses every year)
    The Long Kiss Goodnight (first female kick bu*tt movie)

Unsinkable Molly Brown
    You Can't take it with You
    It Happened One Night
    Last 3 always bring you up and grateful for what you have.

Love muscials and romantic comedies, nothing like getting lost in a great movie.
  • View author's info posted on Apr 29, 2005 16:52

My favorite movies tend to be the old films.

1. Casablanca

2. Captain Blood

3. Robinhood

4. Its a Wonderful Life

5. In Harm's Way
  • View author's info Photo Verified posted on Apr 29, 2005 12:44

Hey Kate, Try Cinema Paridiso. (spelling? )
    subtitled, but a really great film,
  • View author's info posted on Apr 29, 2005 10:29

The part at the end where he explains to his son about the tanks and says he will buy him one someday, Gotta make you're heart go into you're throat if you're a parent.
  • View author's info posted on Apr 29, 2005 09:31

Well done Ingenue!!
    Hey everyone ..don't just name the list of favourites..got to give some clue or reason why, so that those who have not seen the films would be interested:
    1. Cinema Paradiso - a classic about childhood memories and dreams
    2. Raise the REd Lantern-Chinese award winning film by Zhang Yimou about the decadent life of a man with several concubines and he would have his servant light the lantern in front of the doorway of the favorite one he would spend the night with..all about a lost era circa Manchu .Qing dynasty..

3. Sideways- low budget film about 2 mid-life guys trying to find love and lust comes in to disturb their lives as they wander lost in the wine valley..

4. Closer- a very contemporary film about couples and their careers, their romantic, emotional needs..and internet-dating and meetings thru this medium..so relevant to participants of this site..
    Bring out the pop-corns , it is the weekend and movie time!Maybe we should also have our own Oscar award at some stage and nominate the best actor/actress/director and then put it to vote?
  • View author's info posted on Apr 29, 2005 08:09

Soo many good ones, But Fav's only?
    1. Absence of Malice
    2. Chicago
    3. Armageddon
    4. Love Stinks (side splitting funny)
    5. The Big Lebowski
    6. The Red Violin
    7. The Road Warrior (Sorry Ladies)
    8. RoboCop (Sorry again)
    9. Monsters Ball
    10. Dust till Dawn (Dirtbike one)