#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Off topics > Bipolar Disorder Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Bipolar Disorder
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jun 02, 2006 09:42

I find that the biggest problem with any mental illness is the fact that the patients in question have difficulty accepting the fact that they "need" medication. Please allow me to say this.

Needing to take any medication for any chemical imbalance is NO DIFFERENT than a diabetic needing insulin. You just are not producing something that your body needs. It really is as simple as that. Medications prescribed for depression do NOT make you "abnormal". They just bring you up to where you should be to be "normal"...just as insulin does for a diabetic. There is no need to feel as if you are "crazy or insane" as I have read.

On another note. It should also be mentioned that once you find the correct medication that works for you, you need to speak to your doctor to decide if you should stay on it. Many patients start to feel better and stop taking their medication...and they soon start to have their old symptoms again.

But please, do NOT feel as if you are an "outcast", there is nothing wrong with needing help with any health issue. This one in particular is very common and you are not alone.

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jun 02, 2006 00:06

Congrats to you. Not many people want to talk about the Bi- Polar disorder. I have been suffering from it for 8 yrs now. With medication, I am a happy, well balanced person. My ups and downs rarely show themselves. I was so angry at Tom Cruise for criticizing anyone who takes Psychotic drugs. When he gets his Master's in Psychology, then maybe I'll listen. I probably would not be alive today, if it weren't for my medications.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jun 01, 2006 10:25

Wow! To read through the posts this far has been very touching to me. My son is 17 and just now has started medications for bipolar. He is my oldest and definitely has been a challenge through the years. I know there were signs when he was 4 and 5 years old. Doctors are hesitant to diagnose it as such at a young age because it is rare (or is it?). We have struggled with school attendance and mood swings for his whole life and on medication it's like he has a whole new life. I recognized the highs (giddyboy) and the very scary lows (2-3 day sleeping episodes). To my parents and my two other children we have accepted him as he is and maximize the good times to carry us through the bad. To others (including my ex--his dad) who look in from the outside and do not understand mental illness, we have endured countless hurtful comments. I have little mantras to get me through, such as "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.", "This too shall pass." "Make hay while the sun shines." and "Pick your battles--you can't win them all." My son is a beautiful person and the medication is helping others to see the person that my parents, his siblings and myself have seen all along. He is extremely intelligent and his vocabulary and verbal skills are unbelievable. Once the bipolar is managed and he adjusts to this new state of being, he will flourish and shine! I encourage any parent(s) that have a child such as this to truly show them unconditional love. It is not a "behavior problem" that can be corrected or should be punished. It is a medical condition that needs correct treatment. There are many "professionals" in the world that should not be licensed/certified in their line of work, so keep trying until you find the one that you can truly have confidence and trust to care for your child. After countless counselors, psychiatrists, psychologists, etc, his adolescent pediatrician has hit the mark.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 27, 2006 00:56

~Bi Polar Gene~

Everything i took,
i wanted to give,
Every time i die,
i'd die to live,
Down, to get happy,
i'm happy when i'm down,
Up, when i'm cryin',
and laughin' when i frown...

Librium, Depracote,
i was born a misanthrope,
Too extreme, in between, high anxiety,
methedrine, morphine...
bi-polar gene

Stress kills,
i'd kill when i'm stressed
rollin' in the laughter,
comin' undressed...

Love suffers,
i suffered my best,
dyin' to get happy,
i'm happy when i'm stressed...

Librium, Deprocote...
I was born with little hope,
Too extreme, in between, high society
Shooting star, way too far,
bi-polar gene

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, May 23, 2006 10:33

Bipolars are AWESOME lovers and set the standard in bed! aaah, smile, it's all good.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 22, 2006 16:29

I am bipolar and yes I rather enjoy the giddiness that comes with my 'highs' but the lows are not fun at all =(

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Apr 05, 2006 08:01

Bonnie88 write:
Thanks Weelassy and WWW for your encouragement and compassion. I now sympathise with people who suffer from mental health problems and their loved ones who have to live with them and care for them. True unconditional love is constantly tested when you live with invisible illness of the mind.

I get up each morning to call him at school to wake him up and make sure he is not too idle and bored or depressed with his lessons and work. Then again at night to make sure he takes his medication. Observing for side effects of the medication requires a very detail observation of the patient constantly and his reactions to events and interaction with others.
I am deeply grateful to the staff at his school for spotting the problem and we are able to arrest it before it got too far. They were also kind enough to take him back inspite of his dabbling with cannabis which triggered his condition in the first place.
Compassion, patience and empathy are so vital when dealing with sufferers of mental illness and I guess my son has opened a whole new area of education for me.
Our journey through life sure takes us to the most unexpected adventures and locations..and encounter the most unusual of friends..thanks for being there for me.

alter ego. miss wee also tortures and makes fun of some of us bi-polars, not kewl, but cruel, and bad taste too...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 22, 2006 23:09

Thanks Weelassy and WWW for your encouragement and compassion. I now sympathise with people who suffer from mental health problems and their loved ones who have to live with them and care for them. True unconditional love is constantly tested when you live with invisible illness of the mind.

I get up each morning to call him at school to wake him up and make sure he is not too idle and bored or depressed with his lessons and work. Then again at night to make sure he takes his medication. Observing for side effects of the medication requires a very detail observation of the patient constantly and his reactions to events and interaction with others.
I am deeply grateful to the staff at his school for spotting the problem and we are able to arrest it before it got too far. They were also kind enough to take him back inspite of his dabbling with cannabis which triggered his condition in the first place.
Compassion, patience and empathy are so vital when dealing with sufferers of mental illness and I guess my son has opened a whole new area of education for me.
Our journey through life sure takes us to the most unexpected adventures and locations..and encounter the most unusual of friends..thanks for being there for me.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 20, 2006 20:38

Bonnie88 write:
www.
Thanks for starting this section of the MM forum on mental health a long time ago. I never thought then that it could be so relevant to me and that my own son could be a victim of such a painful problem.

He is on the mend and hopefully regain his normal self though he finds it extremely tired and sleeps alot under this medication.

I am aware that a lot of creative people in the film and arts world ar prone to bi-polarism and mental depression due to their mercurial emotional and sensitive make-up. He manifests all these creative signs but I just hope that it will not be a lifelong issue.

Apparently with bi-polar there is a great temptation to not take the meds because the highs are so good and you can be so productive. Make sure you son understands how it works.

wwww

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 20, 2006 15:08

Oh my Bonnie. I am very sorry to hear your unfortunate experience and sadness. I am sure your son will receive the up most care from a medical team. You are a very strong articulate intelligent women/Mother. You have always demonstrated reasoning and brilliance to all that encounter you.

I do hope though you have continued to sooth your soul during this time. I have always adored you for your strength. Your Lad is one lucky kid to have you as a Mom.

Everything will work out my friend.

Weelassy1

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 20, 2006 08:45

It is a cruel illness, I have had for years, it has no boundries of who can have it...Great views...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Mar 19, 2006 02:16

www.
Thanks for starting this section of the MM forum on mental health a long time ago. I never thought then that it could be so relevant to me and that my own son could be a victim of such a painful problem.

He is on the mend and hopefully regain his normal self though he finds it extremely tired and sleeps alot under this medication.

I am aware that a lot of creative people in the film and arts world ar prone to bi-polarism and mental depression due to their mercurial emotional and sensitive make-up. He manifests all these creative signs but I just hope that it will not be a lifelong issue.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Mar 18, 2006 19:43

Bonnie, I am so happy to hear that your son is doing well.

I do encourage everyone to study and learn about the various disorders. They greatly impact our lives, often by people you don't even know. May great things have been accomplished by people with the bi-polar disorder. Do a search for famous people that are bi-polar. You won't believe the results.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 17, 2006 01:53

Poet,
Thanks for all your insightful info on your condition. My son recently had a psychotic condition triggered by his dabbling in cannabis at a party . He spent 2 weeks in psychiatric ward and is now stable on medication and back at school. His condition was caused primarily from not having grieved properly the death of his father at an early age and the recent rejection by his first girlfriend.
I hope this is only a one-off episode and that it will not repeat or become full blown schizophrenia later in life.

Like you, he is brilliant and a natural poet and speaks at full speed with all his ideas. He read CAmus on 'Existentialism' at 13 and wrote his own play, he is in the main roles of all the school plays and is an anarchic poet recognised by Poet laureate and his English master as a potential Shelley or Ginsberg..an emotional and sensitive boy who feels misunderstood..
Your rendition of your own personality has made me aware of my own son's personality and characteristic.
'Normality' is such an elusive word in mental health ..He was always eccentric and specially imaginative and creative that I could never tell what is 'normal' in his personality. I sometimes wonder about myself whether I am 'normal'..what constitutes 'normality' and 'others'..has become a profound issue with me as I observe life through my son's perspective and learn to undestand his inner psyche without being swept away by his charismatic, obsessive , warm, humourous , impulsive
personality..
HIs condition has led me to read and understand more about what it is to be plagued by this invisible mental condition that is so hard to detect.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 06:53

Hi,

I'm so sorry for the loss and do understand how hard it is to live with one of us! You are correct in order to have a relationship with a bipolar person one has to be strong and very understanding. I have chosen to stay single after 2 marriages. I have been single for 6 years and like it this way. For me its hard to know if at a given time I'm really attracted to someone or like them or what. When I'm manic, my senses are heightened by maybe 1000 times, well sometimes less. So, I am not sure my feelings for someone at a given time. However, after years of writing books and poetry and observing my patterns Ive found a way to keep myself in check. Maybe its because I'm highly intelligent, who knows, but some of us have no control, those are the ones I want to help, or try to anyhow. I'm on a mood stabilizer now and it seems to keep me even...

Good luck to you and thank you for your story and comments and understanding.

Lauri

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jan 06, 2006 12:21

Hi Poet & Belle,

Kudos to you both for being so honest about yourselves. It seems there are still many taboos in society & mental health is one of them. My late husband was bipolar (manic depressive) probably his entire life, but was only diagnosed about 1 month before he passed away.

I spent 30 yrs. with him, life was always like walking on eggshells, you never knew what kind of mood he'd be in, huge mood swings, compulsive buying (I joked & said he had "10 of" disease), impulse control issues, etc. The psychiatrist said bipolars will generally pick someone very strong & stable to partner with, it helps keep them in check. We separated for 10 mos. & I told him "I'm the glue, you're going to come undone" when we initially separated, but had no idea how rapidly it would happen nor how true my words would turn out to be.

Once diagnosed, they prescribed meds which take about 2 wks. to kick in & it just wasn't enough, he was gone within 2 days, severely depressed & took his own life. Suicide is another totally taboo subject, yet when I spoke to others, found many had had someone in their life commit suicide.

Looking back on it all, it made sense this bipolar disorder, it helped me greatly come to terms with what had happened, but infuriated & saddened me to see how ineffective our mental health care system truly was.

I've read many statistics on how many people are struggling with some sort of mental health issue & it was a staggering figure of 50% of the population!

I think it remarkable that you help others with mental health issues, the more we talk about it, the less the stigma, and who better than someone who's actually experienced it.

Keep well

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jan 02, 2006 05:59

Hi

I hope you are doing well. It is tough living with this disorder and support groups may help some of us. Im trying to open my own as soon as I get to Arizona I have 28 days left in FL after 28 years, im on my way! But, please find support and if you have a close friend who you trust talk to them. Like I said look for support groups as well. I wish I could help you with the websites and all but they will not display them here. If you need help just post a reply here...

Lauri

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Dec 29, 2005 11:08

I am a 26 year old Bipolar and ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) female. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. I agree that writing helps my mental illness. For someone who is not Bipolar it is hard for them to understand why my moods change so often and why I don't have a reason for them changing. When I joined this sitte I had full intentions on having my picture online but I have not come to that point yet I still have a lot of self-esteem issues but some days I don't. Other people who are Bipolar tell me it gets better with age but it doesn't seem like it will.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Dec 27, 2005 10:17

I had a younger boyfriend for 8.5 years that is Bipolar, OCD (Obcessive Complusive Disorder), and has a Personality Anxiety Disorder. He went undiagnoised and untreated his whole life until 2 years after we met when I told him we had to go see a therapist for help. He wouldn't stay on his medication and that eventually brought our living together statis to an end. He has been moved out for 2.5 years, but we stay in contact daily because I am the only one who understands him and will listen to him for who he really is. He is under the care of a psychiatrist now, and for the first time in his life he is holding down a real job. It is a tough world for anyone with these mental illnesses. And it is even tougher for us who try to help them.