#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Message board > False advertising Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
False advertising
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jul 26, 2011 07:07

I have a dilemma about false advertising.  A number of women I have dated do NOT look anything like their photo(s).  When I meet them it is disappointing.  Suffice it to say they were much LESS attractive than their photos.  Does anybody have any advice on how to verify WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)?

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, May 25, 2013 19:07

i would say a call.. its video, if you are smart you can see the person's character and attitude from the way they speak, act in the video chat. some people are just not that into taking pictures of themselves wherever they go.. so he/she may not have the most recent pictures of his/herself readily. so skyping is often a great idea. in that case, if you do not like what you see, you guys can be just friends if you both agree.. some people are better off as friends anyway.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Apr 28, 2013 15:53

Hmmm...I have not had it happen to me, although I focus much less on a man's appearance as it is the personality, sophistication and confidence that I seek as a huge turn on.  It upsets me that people do that though!
Men say I do not look like my pics, but I got lucky in that it is a good surprise since I don't photograph too well:/
I agree, Skype or iphone if nothing else!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Apr 15, 2013 12:18

statistics say women lie about weight and age but men lie about their height and income earned.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Feb 06, 2013 13:56

Ask if they can verify their photo by either getting a reference or see if they've got a personal page, . If they're all professional pics ask for a candid shot right away. Shouldn't take but a few seconds to produce. You are also able to google people's pictures and tell if they've been "stolen".

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Dec 03, 2012 23:00

I Have to say I agree with u 110% I think that I am a very sexy woman who has beautiful eyes but I do have reservations about my body (which yes I am the only one that can fix this) however why not just go ahead and post your real pics that way if they dont like what they see u will never have to worry about the dissapointment when u meet if you are strait forward from the begining and not try to pretend to be something tha u are ot then u know for sure they are interested in you not some fake image that u congered up just to try and get them. I must also say the women on this site and many of the others have amazing bodies and that really messes with me :( It may just be time for me to get off these sites and just try and go about my life as normal :)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Nov 29, 2012 10:47

Perhaps Skype call the person before agreeing on a date...That's the only way to verify people are who they say they are.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Oct 08, 2012 07:06

How can people look different than their pics, airbrushing, photoshopping, I need to know because I am new, and NEVER tried online dating before so of course I am nervous on top of it, let me know, lol!

PS thanks for showing me you can actually change fonts in messages :)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Aug 20, 2012 10:32

I run into the false pictures a whole lot less on this site than I have on others but still, it does happen on occasion.
I used to just sit down with my cup of coffee (I never, ever, ever do drinks or dinner for a first meet because of this very thing) and try to hear their story but what I learned is this: There is no story, they are simply insecure and manipulative people who care more about their own gratification than building something meaningful.
Now, I do this:  I show up on time and looking like my pics.  If they're more than 15 minutes late I leave. If they don't look like their pics I say this "Thanks for coming out but you look nothing like your pictures and since you didn't respect me enough to be honest, you leave no room for even a friendship."  and I walk away.
You'd be amazed at how often they update their photos or delete their profiles.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Aug 20, 2012 07:48

Orlando,
Communication via the webcam, Skype or other means, is important if you see this person through the camera (can not be surprised about the physical). Now, personality, values ​​and principles of this person (only see the daily treatment and constant communication), is really an effort, but finding the right person is worth any effort  of you.

luck

Francie

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Aug 17, 2012 10:35

The more I thought about using an iPhone or webcam first, the more it seemed so mechanical.  I mean, what message does it send?  Other ideas?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 02, 2011 08:19

Quoting HappyUSGal:

Skype (for mobiles) and i-phone4 have webcam without that terrible stiff one-angle-only that you get with a computer webcam.

iPhone huh?  Good idea.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Aug 01, 2011 03:55

I think, the sooner you meet the person, the sooner you will find out if you like him or not. If you develop relationships only via internet and build your feelings and opinions based only on photos and letters or webcam, you are more likely will be disappointed to meet that person after months of distant communication. It's something like if you have read a book, liked it very much and the heroes. After you se the movie based on this book and it always a big disappointment. Why?
According to photos - some people are more photogenic some not. Photocamera liey a lot.
But personality of a person is more important and you find it only face to face. How he moves, how he speaks, how he eats, dance, sings, doing sports, something else attractive or not.
And for men – look more into the eyes of a woman, not at her boobs or bottom . You can read from the eyes many things, of course, if you are looking for serious longlasting relationships.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jul 29, 2011 09:47

Skype (for mobiles) and i-phone4 have webcam without that terrible stiff one-angle-only that you get with a computer webcam.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Jul 27, 2011 15:49

Webcam, huh?  That's a good idea.  Any more ideas?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jul 26, 2011 04:03

Firstly, I have heard many stories from men here who have experienced the same issue, so this seems to be a fairly common problem. It is far too easy to fake many things including appearance on the internet and unfortunately many do without thinking of the consequences of meeting in reality. Although the internet is a great platform in providing a tool to communicate with people, there is however a blind element to it and we are dependable on how truthful others are. 

The only suggestion I can make  is to avail of communicating through webcam, I think that a webcam provides a better indication of what the individual will look like in reality. Also by hearing them speak and laugh, looking it there gestures etc gives a better insight into their character than a mere picture will never provide. Anybody who has nothing to hide should have no objections to communicating to others through this medium.