#1 Dating Site for Successful Singles and Admirers

Home > Millionaire Forums > Entertainment and Hobbies > COOKING RECIPES? Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
COOKING RECIPES?
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 02, 2005 00:15

Sharp ..your sister was good to have collected Indian curry recipes here..there are so many different communities from India, Pakistan , Sri Lanka and Bangladesh that Asian cuisine here are as different and colorful as the entire Commonwealth. The charity I help is the Commonwealth League to support girls from all 54 countries (including Canada) to finish their secondary education..and each year there is a huge fair where there will be food from all these countries..it is heaven on earth for food aficianadoes..and we come in our traditonal national costumes..such a colorful carnival atmosphere..
will get you our family spotted dyck recipe,,the victorian traditional one..from MIL..

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 14:13

wellab that's brave eating blowfish. If it was known for tasting bland, I'd think I'd pass onit.
Bonnie, my sister lived in London for 10 yrs. Many of her friends were Indian, yum! When she left Canada, she couldn't boil water without burning the pot! When she came back from UK, she cooked the best Indian food!
Also, I know what you mean about acquiring a taste for hot. One of my best friends is Indian. She's an excellent cook, and everything she cooks is spicy hot! When we sit down to eat, she adds more Cayenne pepper or other hot spice! Meanwhile, tears are flowing from everyone else eating it as is! lol

So when will you be posting your recipe for "Spotted Dyck"? Ever since you mentioned it, that has stuck in my mind!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 01, 2005 13:37

Thanks Minerva -- I'll take your wotd about British food. Cheers

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 15:25

Min..good idea to have garlic in your gratin..I have done it without cream by substituting with a white sauce made from flour, butter and milk when I ran out of cream and it was just as good..

Wellab..Modern British food is no longer blah..in fact I am surprised how good they are ..they now serve it at good local pubs..and a lot of the pubs now serve Thai food , so the spicy chillie get the guys to drink more pints of ale..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 15:04

My pleasure Wellabe! But only if you invite me for dinner next time you make that sinfully rich Beef Bourguignon!! lol..
oh ok - here's the recipe anyway:
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Rub bottom/sides of gratin dish with garlic. You may leave the garlic in the dish if you like. (I do)
- Cover bottom of dish with a layer of very thinly sliced potatoes (slice at the last minute so they don't darken)
- sprinkle with grated gruyere or any other cheese suitable for gratin dishes
- pour some cream (heavy or lighter version) over the cheese
- salt/pepper
- repeat same procedure until potatoes, cheese and cream are used up.
- bake in oven, uncovered, for about an hour and a half (if you're using a medium-size dish).
Be careful with the temperature of the oven. Don't go hotter than suggested or the cheese on top will burn before the rest is done. Potatoes should be tender.
You don't HAVE to sprinkle cheese on top as the last layer (to prevent it burning...) but I do and I lower the heat a little bit. I love baked cheese... it smells so delicious when it's cooking!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 14:01

Minerva --if you have a great recipe for Potatoes Au Gratin I'd love to have it -- lost mine in the divorce war. Did manage to save my recipe for Boeuf A La Bourguignonne -- that dish is my comfort food but it is so rich the way I make it that I can only do it once a year -- LOL.
Bonnie -- I hear you about spicy food -- one of my favorites. Whenever I would go to London I would only eat in Italian of Indian places -- French if I could find one. The typical British food is just too blah for me.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 11:29

The chicken fat part sounds delicious. I always love the fatty bits ..... they are always the tastiest. And the most fattening but we won't go into that now....
One of my favorite dishes to make as an accompaniment to meat or chicken is potatoes au gratin.
I also have recipe for a spicy cheese and tomatoe sauce that is normally used as a topping for baked potatoes but goes with other things too. It is simply divine! Comes from Colombia.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 08:33

Min..thanks , definitely worth a try..I do a chicken rice dish with chicken stock too..we have the chicken , either just thighs or parts or entire chicken..the trick is to boil the chicken in the pot of water drop in some cube stock ..ginger slice and when the water is at boiling point turn the flame off , let the residual heat steam boil the chicken...repeat this boil and turn off heat process till the chicken is cooked tender..that way it is not cooked till all the flavors run out..
If u manage to extract any chicken fat, dice it small , fry this with a little oil in a pan and saute minced garlic and a little onion..throw in rinsed rice , a cup or 2..fry in the pan till the garlic smells great, then pour in the chicken stock to boil the rice..eat this with the chicken and chillie sauce and pounded up ginger..and soya ..it is a traditional dish in Singapore..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 05:31

First you boil the chicken (either chicken thighs or a whole chicken) in a big pot of water - add a whole onion for the flavour. When the chicken's done you remove it from the broth and add rice to the broth OR very very small pasta (not much bigger than rice) - but it's better with rice.
When that is done, remove the pot from the hotplate. Have 3-4 eggs already out of the fridge beforehand so they can get to room temperature and squeeze 2-3 lemons and have the juice ready.
In a bowl beat the eggs really well and while you're beating them add the lemon juice little by little, keep on beating.... then add a bit of the chicken broth to this mixture, a bit at a time and don't stop beating (your arm will hurt by the end of this exercise). When it's all nice and frothy pour the whole thing into the chicken broth, in one go. It should be a milky colour and slightly thick and it should be quite lemony when you taste it. You have to add salt and pepper.
It took me a few tries before I got the quantities right. Reason for having the eggs at room temperature and beating ad nauseam while adding the lemon juice etc.. is to keep the eggs from curdling when you pour the mixture into the pot afterwards, but it still happens to me sometimes! If I have about half a pot of broth I use 3 eggs sometimes 4 (depending also on the size of the eggs) and 3-4 lemons. But I tend to like the soup rich and very lemony. I hate when it comes out too watery or bland.
In recipes it always says that you should not re-heat this soup but I do anyway the next day for example and it's still just as good or better even. I also like it cold... but that's just my personal taste.
Last night I went to a Chinese restaurant and had the BEST little spare ribs ever!! They were really spicy too. Going back there for sure!
Anybody wanna join me...??

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 00:39

Min,
HOw do u make egg/lemon soup? v.interesting combination.
My equivalent of chicken soup when I m sick is the rice porridge..with chicken or fish or just plum pickle..we feed that ot our babies as their first solids..so the comfort memory begins there..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Apr 29, 2005 16:35

Aaaah Bonnie! Excellent question. My comfort food for a very long time was pasta with bolognese sauce! But only the way I made it, not in a restaurant and not from anybody else. I had to make it at home - with lots of grated pecorino romano - preferably a big chunk which I would grate over the pasta at that moment.
Now my comfort food is chicken and egg/lemon soup, again Greek style. I love this especially when it's cold outside or when I'm not feeling well... getting a cold etc... My mom always used to make this when we were sick so now when I make it - even when I'm not sick - it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, just like you described!

And of course now and again nothing beats chocolate!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Apr 29, 2005 10:27

New topic : COMFORT FOOD FOR THOUGHT
When you are sick in bed, or away from home for a spell,what is the one favorite thing you miss eating or drinking from home sweet home..and the taste of which will immediately revive your vitality and give you that fuzzy feeling that life is worth living ?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Apr 29, 2005 01:05

I've had the Japanese breakfast many, many times. But I have to disagree with Bonnie that the best seafood is from Singapore -- it is from California -- no, wait -- Hawaii -- no, France -- no, Italy -- nope Japan -- or was it Australia? It is so good in so many places it would be hard to pick just one -- LOL -- but Singapore is good. However, Bonnie, we do know it is not from the U.K. -- do we not?

[_________________________________________

Well, Wellab, I m from Singapore, so of course my palate is conditioned to certain COMFORT FOOD...and once you are thrown the spicy stuff that bombards your tastebuds for life, it took me years to appreciate the bland but fresh Japanese cuisine and even worse the stodgy British fare..YOU are right about seafood in CA, US, NY, Hawaii and Australia..where they have them fresh..but the Chinese and Japanese are the connoiseurs of the freshest seafood..ala jumping life drunken prawns in a glass of wine..or raw sashimi with the fish head still throbbing and eyes staring glistening at you!!
Surprise surprise,,London has seen vast improvement since I got back in 1997..the restaurant trade has boomed..and thanks to imports like Nobu from LA and NY and a few foreign trained local chefs, we do get some great fare but at the pain of a big hole in the pocket..
heading for Bulgaria next week if they will give me my visa..and I hear they have very good food there so looking forward to that..will report Min..about your connection there
FUGU-EATING IN JAPAN ..suffers from at least two fatalities a year..that is playing Kamizake with food..or Russian Roulette..cheers got to get back to Bulgarian Consular..with my visa application

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Apr 29, 2005 00:26

Minerva -- I forgot Greece --- sorry. I've only been there once and that was in Athens and I think I had lamb that night at dinner so I don't think I have sampled the fish there. One day I hope to do the Greek Islands tour on a cruise -- maybe for my 65th birthday -- so hopefully I'll get to sample it then.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Apr 29, 2005 00:21

Minerva--I've had blowfish twice in Japan. The chef must have a long experience with it to be able to prepare it. I think a minimum of 10 years. If it is not done right it is bye, bye, baby. Hugely expensive. Very bland and almost tasteless both times. White flesh and almost translucent. It is served twice during the meal. The thrill -- I suppose -- is just eating it and realizing you are eating one of the most deadly things on the planet. I was told that sometimes a little of the poison gets into the flesh and it gives you a tingle on your lips but that did not happen either time I had it. Of course, I was thoroughly prepared with Sake and beer each time. LOL.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Apr 28, 2005 20:30

OK back to our fishy subject... wellabe you forgot to mention GREECE! Some of the best fresh fish I've eaten was in the land of the Gods of Mt Olympus.
But I'm talking REALLY fresh - like taken from the net at dawn and cooked that same evening!
I would really like to try that Japanese speciality: fugu (blowfish??) where if it's not prepared properly you're dead meat.... er.. well you know what I mean!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Apr 28, 2005 20:22

Wellabe, we could install one of those x-ray things we walk through at the airport to make sure there are no concealed weapons. Maybe a few could apply for a Food Fiesta Visa beforehand, valid only from the point of being served the starter up until putting the coffee cup down after the last sip. Anybody overstaying his/her welcome or violating the rules will be punished by having to write excruciatingly nice and polite and sweet posts all over the forum over and over again whilst receiving insults from everyone else. This person's PC/keys will be configured so as not to allow any bad words in retaliation or wrong spelling/punctuation. Eventually said person will go insane and have to be locked up forever.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Apr 28, 2005 18:36

Orion --if we were to have a meeting today after all the fighting going on recently we would need those bazooka and machine gun squirrels just to keep some of these people from stabbing each other with the forks! Lousiana cooking is terrific, and so is Singapore and Japan. I've had the Japanese breakfast many, many times. But I have to disagree with Bonnie that the best seafood is from Singapore -- it is from California -- no, wait -- Hawaii -- no, France -- no, Italy -- nope Japan -- or was it Australia? It is so good in so many places it would be hard to pick just one -- LOL -- but Singapore is good. However, Bonnie, we do know it is not from the U.K. -- do we not?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Apr 28, 2005 15:23

I guess he has gone to finish his story..his female audience is waiting for the climax..he is sure a busy man doubling as chef/author/critic..do you guys work at all??

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Apr 28, 2005 14:46

ooooh... Bonnie babe... don't think I could stomach that Japanese breakfast there... lol... but it's true that it probably is a helluva lot healthier than pancakes and maple syrup!
Where is our starry-eyed Chef?? Off on his Quest again... maybe he found a new recipe to entice us with ...